Tivoli Off The Beaten Path Tips by leics
Tivoli Off The Beaten Path: 20 reviews and 24 photos
Ancient wall against newer one
Tivoli was a favoured place for ancient Romans to retire to (and for the wealthy to have summer villas) , and continued to be so during the Renaissance.
Thus, as with all Italian towns and cities which have millennia of occupation behind them, you can see evidence of the past melding into more recent times. Italians seem to have been happy to build on top of or next to existing structures, or to incorporate them into newer buildings rather than entirely clear the site. Which is very, very good.
Tivoli is a pleasant place for a wander anyway, so keep your eyes open as you do. You'll see the past emerging in all sorts of unlikely places...........
Tubes and corals......
If you visit the Villa d'Este (as you probably will) take a closer look at some of the stones used for bordering paths in the gardens (and in some walls too).
It's a type of limestone, but is fossil-rich. In fact, it seems to consist almost entirely of prehistoric corals, concreted together by the millennia. Tubes and bubbles and casts abound:entirely wondrous.
I saw it in Rome too, in what remains of the Palatine gardens of the Villa Farnese. I suspect it must have been a popular 'garden feature' in Renaissance times.
Well worth a closer look.
leics' Related Pages
Tivoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tivoli Taster"
- "DAY TRIP TO TIVOLI"
- "Tivoli - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Tivoli's villas"
- "Up in the hills........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tivoli
- Hotels in Tivoli
- Transportation in Tivoli
- Restaurants in Tivoli
- Shopping in Tivoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tivoli
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pinecrest Hotels
- Sohren Hotels
- Maun Hotels
- Vicksburg National Military Park Hotels
- North Vancouver
- Alexandria Bay
Badges & Stats in Tivoli
- 5 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (550)
Have you been to Tivoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivoli
Photos in TivoliSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Tivoli hotel reviews
- Hotel Sirene
- 1 Review & Opinion