"Carcassonne.........town of two parts." Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne by leics

Carcassonne Travel Guide: 479 reviews and 1,397 photos

I had wanted to visit Carcassonne for many years, so the advent of cheap flights from my local airport made it an essential trip. I'm glad I went at Easter though. There weren't too many people, the cafes and restaurants were uncrowded and I could wander around without getting battered/ irritated by throngs of visitors. I imagine La Cite is a total nightmare in the high season, its narrow streets crammed full.

What I hadn't realised was that the lower part of Carcassonne, the Bastide Saint Louis, is equally interesting from an historical point of view. It was laid out to a grid plan in 1260, built around a central square and encircled by walls with bastions, burned down in 1355 (by Edward, Prince of Wales......the Black Prince) but immediately rebuilt. Its draughtboard-like layout means that cars have to go very slowly to avoid colliding at the blind junctions, which is a major plus for pedestrians!

The Canal du Midi lies just outside the walls of the Bastide and the River Aude runs between it and La Cite. There are pleasant walks along both.

There is evidence of occupation on the site of La Cite dating back to at least the 6th century BC, and the fortified Roman village which stood there was called Carcaso. Later rulers included the Visigoths, the Saracens and the Francs, who were succeeded by the Trencavel dynasty. In 1209 the Cite was taken by the Crusaders, and given to Simon de Montfort (some links with Leicester here!), but was given back to King Louis Vlll in 1224.

The Cite has undergone many changes over the centuries, and it is sometimes difficult to see what is recent reconstruction and what is original. Some of the inner walls still show their Gallo-Roman origins, the Chateau Comptal (12th century) is still an impressive structure as is the double ring of walls and towers (52 of them). The original city cathedral of Saint-Nazaire contains some beautiful Medieval stained glass, and the winding streets give a good impression of what life was like when the Cite was fully inhabited.

The Bastide Saint Louis has shops, and restaurants, and many extremely old houses.......some of which are in a better state of repair than others. It warrants several hours of wandering and exploring. It's also cheaper to eat here than in the Cite restaurants and bars and the cassoulet is, I'm sure, just as good!

Carcassonne is a lovely place to visit, but will only take a couple of days to see properly. I used my 'spare' day to take the train to Narbonne , which has lots of interesting things to see (and an excellent archaeological museum).

• Pros:Stuffed with history
  • Cons:Expect crowds in season
  • In a nutshell:Town of two parts, both full of history
  • Last visit to Carcassonne: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Nicepage

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Thank you! It's one of my earlier pages...Carcassonne was one of my first 'solo abroad' trips and I enjoyed it very much. :-)

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Lovely Cité, isn't it?

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I visited Carcassonne with my parents when I was 9 or 10, so I remember little. I enjoyed reading your tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Funny, I was just thinking about French onion soup before I clicked on your first tip, and there it was! My one visit to Carcassonne was many years ago, and I don't really remember much about it, but I have the impression a return visit would be in order.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Didn't you just love it. I was there last year and enoyed it thoroughly.

• asianbelle's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 5:30 AM

thanks for directing me to your carcassonne page. the place looks so peaceful.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Nomad is right, great pages. Although I think you need to more out on the limb when describing the food as "edible" ;-), Karl

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 1:21 PM

rugby memories for me too; played there in '72; needed police escort out of town, becuase we got a draw!

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Gosh- you've covered it much more fully than I have!Great.Isn't it a wonderful place- we went in June though- packed!Diana

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

great tips.

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Carcassonne

Have you been to Carcassonne?