"Hisaronu and Ovacik..................." Hisaronu by leics

Hisaronu Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 57 photos

...........are two villages in the hills above Oludeniz, on the Med coast of Turkey. And they are almost entirely devoted to servicing the (mainly British) tourists in the area. Which, very sadly, means 'Full English Breakfasts', imported beers, bingo nights, a great lack of Turkish-ness and far too much burned flesh on show. So we didn't go there much.

Kayakoy (see separate page) is 10 minutes by dolmus from Hisaronu. Deserted in 1923, when its Greek population was repatriated, it has over 1000 buildings as well as two churches and a school to explore. Far, far more interesting to spend time in. A new guidebook has been published this year and is well worth buying from the man in the ticket office.

One good thing about Hisaronu is the large number of tour agents, so there is plenty of opportunity to get away. Boat trips go from Oludeniz.....popular with Turkish holidaymakers, so a good atmosphere. We didn't realise the main point was to swim in as many places as possible, rather than actually visit them, but it was good fun (and the sea was beautifully warm). The boat we went on had a waterslide, much enjoyed by all who tried it. And lunch was included, and was fine (and Turkish!).

Another tour included Tlos, an ancient city in the hills. I'd have liked longer to explore there, so maybe getting a dolmus from Fethiye would have been a better idea. But the temperature was very high (in the 40's) and although the spirit was willing, the flesh was weak. But lunch at a trout farm in the mountains, and a wander through Saklikent Gorge (more in travelogues below) were cooler experiences. Though not much!

I enjoyed my tiny taste of Turkey but know this area is not a good place for finding out what Turkish life is like. Similar to judging England on the basis of Skegness. Ideal for sun/sand/watersports seekers maybe (not Skegness, obviously!), but I am certain there are far more interesting places to explore in this vast country. Maybe next time.

• Pros:Landscape and surrounding area. Everything you could want from a tourist resort.
  • Cons:Everything you could want from a tourist resort.
  • In a nutshell:Tourist-focused and Brit-popular
  • Last visit to Hisaronu: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2011

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2012 at 7:15 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!! GREETINGS FROM LONDON !!!!

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 3:22 AM

We go to Hisaronu in two weeks like your tips seems an okay place,hope theres more historical places to visit

• mamawinnie's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Your page was just what I was looking for, off there next week. Joolz

• Oct 28, 2006 at 5:08 PM

I haven't been here yet, and by the way you describe it, it might be to touristy for me (as a few other places have turned too). Think you would have liked Selcuk near Efesos + the still alive greek town in the mountains there.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 3:23 PM

Hi, just checked out your page, afraid Hisaronu has developed out of recognition since my 1st visit, and probably even more since my last. There are still unspoilt places in Turkey though! Best Wishes, Sue.

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 8:59 AM

Why Tess? All this cool weather makes me a Hardy fellow I guess...Shall I stay after class for that one?

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Hisaronu

Have you been to Hisaronu?

Latest Activity in Hisaronu