"A bog experience......." Tallinn County by leics
Tallinn County Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 1,867 photos
I didn't quite know where to write about my bog-walk. Neither 'Viru Bog' nor ' Lahemaa National Park'exist in the VT database. So if this page is in the wrong place, and you know a better one, feel free to let me know!
Lahemaa National Park is lovely......bogs and forests and old fishing villages. I only spent a short time exploring it, as part of a day-tour with Estadventures, but Ithink it would be a very interesting place to spend a few days.
There are lots of walking and cycling trails: it seems to be a very popular place for Estonians to have 'summer houses', or to spend their weekends.
There are, apparently, bear, elk and lynx is the area though you'd have to be very lucky to see them. There are certainly plenty of birds though......ideal 'twitching' country.....and a profusion of plants and flowers when I visited in July.
It was fascinating to explore the very specific vegetation which grows in bogland. I hadn't seen cranberries before (we don't have them in the UK), had never realised the berries actually rested on the ground. And there was a tiny, very edge-of-the-bog rosemary which smelt beautiful.
The pine trees (several types) were often covered in a grey lichen. I've seen this before in the UK, and don't think it actually damages the trees (as one of my companions suggested): it's more that the lichen grows on parts of the tree which are dying/dead.
The Viru bog is a large area of bogland specifically set up for visitors. A wooden walkway has been laid, so that your feet stay dry, and there is a (rather rickety) wooden viewing tower in the middle which would be an ideal place to spend a few hours birding and/ or animal-watching, especially in the autumn/winter months. Lots of plants and flowers to be seen when I visited, butterflies and moths and some amazing dragonflies too.
This type of landscape is a cvery specific experience............it reminded me a bit of the Scottish Highlands, if they were rolled flat. Boggy bits, and pine forests, and large expanses of rough ground with glacial erratics (huge boulders left behind from the last Ice Age) dotted about everywhere.
It's not somewhere to leave the marked pathways unless you know the area very well (or have a very good map, with skills to match); I could imagine how easy it would be to get lost in the forests, how easily one could get stuck in the bogs. It must be very bleak, and fairly dangerous, in the winter ......... and certainly requires the liberal use of insect repellent in the summer (I was well and truly bitten even after using it).
But worth visiting to get a feel for this type of landscape, even if you don't stay long......and worth remembering also that people have been able to adapt and live in such areas for thousands of years.
More pictures in the travelogue.
- Pros:Well worth a visit for both flora and fauna
- Cons:Watch out for mosquitoes in summer!
- In a nutshell:Lahemaa National Park
Bugs are a nuisance, but ticks can be very nasty. Lahemaa National Park does have ticks (although you are very... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Tallinn County Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My good, old home town"
- "A Brit's guide to Tallin"
- "The capital of Estonia"
- "tallinn (reval) estonia"
- "The Noble City of Tallinn"
- "Tallinn, the city will never be the same"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn County
- Hotels in Tallinn County
- Transportation in Tallinn County
- Nightlife in Tallinn County
- Restaurants in Tallinn County
- Shopping in Tallinn County
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn County
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallinn County
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (632)
Have you been to Tallinn County?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn County
Photos in Tallinn CountySee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues