Wiltshire Things to Do Tips by leics Top 5 Page for this destination
Wiltshire Things to Do: 41 reviews and 64 photos
...................because it is a superb example of a prehistoric (probably Bronze Age) stone circle, set within a massive ditch-and-bank enclosure. The two museums are very good. And the (only) pub has a real fire and real ales.
Directions: Best to park in the National Trust car park just outside the village.
Entrance to West Kennet Long Barrow
Constructed during the Neolithic, around 3500BC, West Kennet long barrow is the largest of its type in England. The mound is 100m long, running East/ West at the crest of Ovebury Hill. Inside, behind the huge stones used to seal the barrow after 1000 years of use, lie 5 separate chambers leading off a 10m long passage. Excavations in 1859 and the 1950's discovered the remains of 46 people, although it is certain the tomb had been disturbed before.
Try to go inside by yourself if you can......it is easy to see who is coming up the hill, and it is far more impressive and atmospheric if you can experience it undisturbed.
Address: S of A4 Marlborough to Beckhampton road.
Directions: Parking in a lay-by on the left just past West Kennet village, then a well-marked footpath across fields and up the hill.
Silbury Hill at dusk.
Silbury Hill is the largest man-made mound in Europe. Constructed around 2500 BC, it stands about 40 metres high and covers nearly 5 acres. Although various excavations and investigations have taken place over the years, no burial has ever been found and no-one really knows why it was built.
It is just stunning.
Please do not climb the mound: it is very old, very precious and very fragile (and climbing it is forbidden).
Address: Off the A4 between Marlborough and Beckhampton.
Directions: You can't miss it! There is a parking area provided.
leics' Related Pages
Wiltshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stonehenge, Lacock Abbey & More..."
- "Wiltshire, Ancient capital of Wessex"
- "THINGS TO SEE IN WILTSHIRE"
- "Summer Solstice on Salisbury Plain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wiltshire
- Hotels in Wiltshire
- Transportation in Wiltshire
- Nightlife in Wiltshire
- Restaurants in Wiltshire
- Shopping in Wiltshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Wiltshire
- See All...
Explore the World
- Maribojoc Hotels
- Klein-Drakensteinberge Hotels
- Lakeland Hotels
- Livermore Hotels
Badges & Stats in Wiltshire
- 13 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 63 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Wiltshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wiltshire
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (215)
Top Wiltshire hotels
- Salisbury Hotels
- 278 Reviews - 625 Photos
- Avebury Hotels
- 101 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Warminster Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Bradford on Avon Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 70 Photos
- Amesbury Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Swindon Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Wilton Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Trowbridge Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Old Sarum Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Melksham Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Marlborough Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Malmesbury Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 16 Photos