"Some nice places.................." Berkshire by leics
Berkshire Travel Guide: 785 reviews and 1,758 photos
.......in Berkshire. A wealthy county, with the evidence of that wealth fairly obvious in many places, but also one with pleasant walks and pretty villages.
I've really made this page to link to other places that VT doesn't recognise as being in Berkshire, such as Pangbourne. If you go there, it's worth walking over the bridge into Oxfordshire and the village of Whitchurch-on-Thames. There you will find the UK's largest alpacca farm (take the second right after you have crossed the Thames, and walk about a quarter of a mile........alpaccas on the left!).
I've also spent some time recently exploring the Iron age hillfort at Hermitage.
Now I've realised I can use this page to link to odd places, I'll do a bit more investigation and take some more photos. Th main one above shows the river in January; the blob on the tree in the background is mistletoe (loads in this area).
This gorse is in bloom at Hermitage, on New Year's Day. The English saying is that 'when the gorse is out of bloom, then kissing is out of fashion'. It blooms throughout the year, which is just as well.
Lots of very old, rather pretty (and hugely expensive) cottages in Berkshire. Many are thatched; the ideal rural retreat for all those grey-faced men who commute into London every day in order to make enough money to buy a rural retreat in 'Royal' Berkshire............
These, dating from the 16th century, are opposite the church in Pangbourne.
- Pros:Some lovely countryside and walks, and history
- Cons:A very wealthy county
- In a nutshell:Some lovely countryside
On the summit of Castle Hill, at Wittenham Clumps, is the Poem Tree. Although it died in the 1990's, enough still... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Berkshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Some nice places.................."
- "Just Passing Through"
- "Berkshire - a rather royal experience!"
- "Legoland Windsor Resort"
- "The Royal County of Berkshire"
- "Windsor castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berkshire
- Hotels in Berkshire
- Transportation in Berkshire
- Nightlife in Berkshire
- Restaurants in Berkshire
- Shopping in Berkshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Berkshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berkshire
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (632)
Have you been to Berkshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berkshire
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues