"Wimpole Hall, actually." Cambridgeshire by leics
Cambridgeshire Travel Guide: 1,323 reviews and 2,890 photos
I've been to various places in Cambridgeshire, but have no photos (although I've recently made a Cambridge page). I was, however, very taken with Wimpole Hall when I visited it.
It's the grandest house in the county, begun in 1643 and taken over by the National Trust in 1976. There's a huge park, some of which was landscaped by Capability Brown, with lakes, folly and deserted Medieval villages (3, including visible ridge & furrow fields).
You can visit the house itself, including its formal gardens (late 17th century) and the Home Farm, now renowned for rare breeds (some of which wander the parkland). Entry to the parkland is free, but you will have to pay to go into the house or farm. There is, of course, a restaurant as well as gift shop, plant shop and secondhand bookshop.
Wimpole Hall is 8 miles SW of Cambridge itself, off the A603. Worth visiting if you get the opportunity..............the parkland offers some lovely walks.
Phone 01223 207257 for details.
- Pros:Some nice countryside and history to explore
- Cons:Rather flat
- In a nutshell:Lots of places to visit...this is just one of them
leics' Related Pages
Cambridgeshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Steeped in Tradition"
- "Country life in Cambridgeshire"
- "Greetings From The University Town Of CAMBRIDGE"
- "Flat is beautiful :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridgeshire
- Hotels in Cambridgeshire
- Transportation in Cambridgeshire
- Nightlife in Cambridgeshire
- Restaurants in Cambridgeshire
- Shopping in Cambridgeshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridgeshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridgeshire
- 33 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (627)
Have you been to Cambridgeshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridgeshire
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues