Leicestershire Things to Do Tips by leics Top 5 Page for this destination
Leicestershire Things to Do: 16 reviews and 35 photos
Old John is a 'folly' in Bradgate Park, built for no reason other than to look good in the landscape. The story goes that it is a memorial to an old family servant, built in the shape of his favourite beer tankard. Believe that if you like!
Bradgate Park is simply stunning......and area of almost-wildness in the heart of the rolling East Midlands. A walk up to Old John gives fantastic views over the surrounding countryside.
Address: Bradgate Park
Directions: West of Leicester city. Access by car (several car parks including one very near Old John) or by bus to Newtown Linford.
Bradgate Park originally belonged to Bradgate House, the childhood home of Lady Jane Grey who was beheaded in Tudor times. You can still see the ruins of the house, and visit sometimes (opening hours vary).
A small river babbles through the park, rocky and shallow and ideal for paddling and catching tiddlers.........
Deer, tame enough to pose for photos, wander freely.
The exposed rocks are some of the oldest in the country, ideal for childish scrambling and exploration.
Acres of rough grass and bracken to run and explore and hide in...... hills for rolling down, or flying kites....ancient trees of all types.....
See my travelogue for more info and photos.
Address: Newtown Linford, near Leicester
Directions: West of Leicester city. Access by car (charge for parking, several different car parks) or by bus to Newtown Linford.
If you like steam trains, take a trip on the Battlefield Line. The trains run between the villages of Shenton and Shakerstone on most weekends of the year (Santa specials at Christmas, of course ....and Thomas the Tank Engine visits regularly). The countryside is lovely, and there are some good pubs in Shakerstone.
Address: Shenton, Leicestershire.
Directions: Between Stoke Golding and Market Bosworth, near the site of the Battle of Bosworth.
View from Ambion Hill.
In 1485 the Battle of Bosworth changed the course of English history. King Richard lll was killed and the Welsh prince Henry Tudor (father of King Henry Vlll) took the throne. You can visit the battle site in West Leicestershire. There's a visitor's centre, an excellent cafe and lovely walks (guided tours available for groups). Visit my Battle of Bosworth page for more backgound.
Address: Ambion Hill, near Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire
Phone: 01455 290429
More Reviews (4)
leics' Related Pages
Leicestershire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Typically English."
- "Centrally Placed"
- "The lard is glorious"
- "Leicester, Centre of The World (Plus Berwick)"
- "Round the Midlands...."
- "The Battle of Bosworth 22nd August 1485."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leicestershire
- Hotels in Leicestershire
- Transportation in Leicestershire
- Nightlife in Leicestershire
- Restaurants in Leicestershire
- Shopping in Leicestershire
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Lake Tahoe
- Port of Miami Hotels
- Vietri sul Mare
- Depok Hotels
- Bennebroek Hotels
- Dominica Hotels
Badges & Stats in Leicestershire
- 14 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (550)
Have you been to Leicestershire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leicestershire
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Countryside"
- updated a Leicestershire Travelogue "Bradgate Park: childhood home of Lady Jane Grey"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bradgate Park: childhood home of Lady Jane Grey"
- Uploaded a Video to Leicestershire
- Wrote a Review It's a riverside pub, actually. in Leicestershire Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue