"Not enough time to explore properly..........." Darmstadt by leics
Darmstadt Travel Guide: 205 reviews and 669 photos
...a modern town, but with some old bits still to be found.
I enjoyed my visit......from an outsider's point of view, everywhere is interesting!
Just a few photos and tips........perhaps another, more detailed, visit one day.
The main photo is an evening view of the Altes Rathaus, built in 1598, with the Ratskeller (beer and food) on the ground floor.
The Residential Palace faces the Altes Rathaus. It burned down in 1944, with only the outer walls remaining, but has since been fully reconstructed. It contains structures from 6 centuries, the most recent (apart from the restoration) from the 1700s.
Waking back to the car, we passed a devastated church on Kappellplatz, destroyed in the air-raids of the Second World War. It is preserved as a monument to those who suffered and died during the time of the National socialist dictatorship.........1933 to 1945.
I found this sculpture of a grieving human being very powerful. The white Star of David is graffiti.
"As a warning to the living. Hold on tightly to peace"
- Pros:More to see than you might expect
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:More to see than you might expect
leics' Related Pages
Darmstadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist"
- "Opera and Cycling in Darmstadt"
- "Darmstadt: a City of Surprises"
- "Exploring & discovring a jewel off the beaten path"
- "A Fleeting Look at Darmstadt"
- "Art Nouveau capital Darmstadt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darmstadt
- Hotels in Darmstadt
- Transportation in Darmstadt
- Nightlife in Darmstadt
- Restaurants in Darmstadt
- Shopping in Darmstadt
- Warnings and Dangers in Darmstadt
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Darmstadt
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (550)
Have you been to Darmstadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darmstadt
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue