"Oxfordshire.............................." Top 5 Page for this destination Oxfordshire by leics
Oxfordshire Travel Guide: 1,435 reviews and 3,073 photos
......is a typically English county, with tiny villages, good pubs, farmland and woodland (particularly beech).
Oxford itself is worth a visit, if only to see the Ashmolean and Pitt-Rivers museums, have a drink in the Turf Tavern and walk through Christchurch meadows to the river.
South Oxfordshire encompasses part of the Chiltern Hills, an area of outstanding beauty and brilliant walking country (with some more excellent pubs!). Particularly lovely at bluebell time.
To the south-west lies the Vale of the White Horse (Wantage), a softly-carved valley lying beneath classic downland. Worth exploring the prehistoric monuments around here and perhaps walking a little of the prehistoric trackway known as the Ridgeway.
There's a woodland sculpture park near Christmas Common, well worth visiting if you're in the area. Lots of red kites there too.
- Pros:Landscapes. history, prehistory
- Cons:Some places can be very busy
- In a nutshell:Very English
On the summit of Castle Hill, at Wittenham Clumps, is the Poem Tree. Although it died in the 1990's, enough still... more travel advice
An area of woodland in the Chilterns, with sculptures of all types dotted around. Free, plenty of parking, good for... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Oxfordshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic County of Oxfordshire"
- "Country Houses & Thatched Roof Villages"
- "A glimpse at some Cotswold villages"
- "BLENHEIM PALACE"
- "Oxford, is there any other university?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxfordshire
- Hotels in Oxfordshire
- Transportation in Oxfordshire
- Nightlife in Oxfordshire
- Restaurants in Oxfordshire
- Shopping in Oxfordshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxfordshire
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oxfordshire
- 14 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 75 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Oxfordshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxfordshire
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (215)
Top Oxfordshire hotels
- Oxford Hotels
- 965 Reviews - 2035 Photos
- Burford Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Banbury Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 215 Photos
- Henley on Thames Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Abingdon-on-Thames Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Woodstock Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Witney Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Rollright Stones Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Dorchester Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Chipping Norton Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Bicester Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 16 Photos