"Onwards and upwards (figuratively speaking)...." leics's Profile

You'll find a bit more about me personally in the albums at the bottom of this page: this page mainly focuses on the travelling and archaeological aspects.

I was finally able to start travelling when my children became independent adults. Before that time I simply could not afford to travel outside the UK although I did manage a daytrip to Calais and a couple of very short trips to Paris. i'm very aware that I have only a limited amount of time to cram in as much as I possibly can because when I retire there simply won't be enough money for much, if any, travelling. So that's what I'm doing....cramming in as much as I can!

I've almost always travelled alone, out of necessity rather than choice. If I didn't travel alone, I would hardly ever travel. My first solo 'abroad' was to Rome , which I loved... especially OstiaAntica and I've really enjoyed everywhere I've visited..

My travel has largely been based around budget flights and cheapish hotels, though I've been on a couple of package holidays for convenience more than anything else. I like to spend my time wandering around, seeing how people live and (especially) seeing what once was. 'Modern' things hold no real interest for me, though I sometimes enjoy pootling round shops to see what's on offer and at what price. But I don't 'do' shopping: it bores me.

VT has been a huge help, not only by giving me information which made me feel more confident as a solo middle-aged female traveller but also giving me ideas about what to see and do. I've made so many friends through the site, meeting lots of VT-ers in reality as well as virtually, attending VT meetings both large and small in the UK and abroad. Those friendships have taken me to places I'm sure I would never have visited without VT.

2014 has been a good travel year.

February: a brief return to Malaga followed by a few days in Granada, long high on my list.

Early April: a return to Lisbon with the farmer's wife, and another daytrip to Sintra.

Early June: Sibiu, Sighisoara and Biertan in Romania. A wonderful trip which introduced me to the beautiful and largely unspoiled landscape of Transylvania.

July/August: the US trip: NYC, New Haven and Washington DC.

A first trip to Denmark in mid-August, based in Copenhagen, visiting Roskilde and travelling over the Oresund bridge to visit Malmo in Sweden.

September: a fun time with VT-ers at Ricky52's Rushbearing Meet and another fun time with VT-ers at the London Treasure Hunt. This year my team won. At last! :-)

October: Flying into and out of Milan, with a few days based in Bolognaand a daytrip to Ravenna to see the Byzantine mosaics I have so long wanted to see. They did not disappoint.

Late December: a trip to Jordan for Petra, the Dead Sea, Wadi Rum and the desert castles. Somewhere else which has been very high on my list for decades. I am so pleased that it looks very likely I'll get there. :-)

2013

January: Canterbury, Rochester, Whitstable and Sandwich..

February:
Luxembourg Metz Trier

March/April: A return to Krakow where we spent a lovely evening chatting with 68maciek .

Amsterdam visiting Delft, Den Haag (The Hague) and Leiden, where I met PJ and Swanet for an afternoon's wandering.

May: Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne, Rapperswil) It was lovely to meet up with Yumyum and Horscheck again.

July/August: USA
New York, New Haven, Niantic, Mystic, San Francisco ,El Segundo and Los Angeles.

Riga, in Latvia, a lovely city with a huge amount to explore.

September: A weekend with The Oop North Crew in Buxton (Derbyshire, UK) visiting Tideswell, the Plague village of Eyam and Bakewell

London Treasure Hunt organised by London-Calling

October:
Hereford

December/January: Spain with visits to Frigiliana, Antequera, Almuñécar, Málaga and Torrox Costa

2012

January: Cornwall and Devon: Penzance, Madron, Marazion, Mousehole, St Just, Lands End St Michael's Mount. Tiverton, Launceston, Jamaica Inn and Exeter.

February: Spain: Madrid and Toledo.

April: Venice, staying in Mestre visiting
Padova
Verona.

June: Eurmeet in Bergamo, Albino, Clusone, Sarnico.

July: Rome

Solon
Sutliff
Springdale

Megabus trip to Chicago which I explored with thanks to Riorich55

September: The VT Halifax Meet thanks to Ricky52).

October: London Treasure Hunt

Slovakia, based in Bratislava
meeting Katamorgana in Piestany
and making daytrips to Trnava and Vienna.

November: Manchester Christmas Markets meet

2010

February: Amsterdam and
Haarlem.

March: Prague, Kutna Hora and the bone church at Sedlec.

Istanbul.

May: Euromeet in Krakow
Wieliczka salt mine. Wadowice, Kalwaria Zebrzydowska
Pszczyna

July: Lovely Northern Ireland
Tunisia

August
Kaunas Lithuania

September: Halifax VT meet, as much fun as ever and the excellent Sowerby Bridge Rushbearing (especially the belly-dancing female Morris team)!
VT London Treasure Hunt, organised by Jo104 and Planxty.

October:
Bourton-on-the-Water.
Cirencester
Lacock
Wells
and Glastonbury.

2009
February:Sorrento
March: Athens and trip to Sounio (thanks to Janetanne).

Slovenia (Bad Radkersberg)
Hungary:Lenti
Croatia: Cakovec

May: Euromeet Cascais ,Lisbon ,Sintra ,Portugal

July:Wurzburg, Nurnburg, Bamberg, Regensburg
Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber
Darmstadt Many thanks to Trekki who took me to: Hering, Hummeltroth, Lorsch, Freinsheim, Ibersheim, Rheindurkheim and Worms

August: Budapest
Malta

November: Manchester for Gillybob's Christmas Markets meet.

December: Northern Cyprus

2006 :

Ireland , Carcassonne , Narbonne and Florence

Krakow

Dartmoor

Malta.

Turkey: Hisaronu, Fethiye and Kayakoy.

I was, until recently, a keen archaeologist in my spare time. In the main photo (excavating Medieval dump deposits in York) I'm the one in the hat.

For five summers I dug at Sedgeford in Norfolk. There is dig info on that page, and in the travelogues below. It's excellent fun, and anyone can join. If you fancy exploring a bit of Anglo-Saxon England next year, look at the SHARP website.

I used to do a great deal of 'fieldwalking', although I have done much less over recent years because local farming practices have changed. 'Fieldwalking' means walking across ploughed fields very slowly, picking up evidence from the past. People used to put the contents of their rubbish heaps onto their fields so there's always lots of pottery to find, and this will show when the area was occupied. Many fields produce not only pottery from Medieval and Roman times but flint tools from more than 10000 years ago. Fieldwalking is a great stress-buster and really brings the past to life. England is particularly good for this type of archaeology, because there has been such intensive settlement and farming over the centuries. Picking up a Mesolithic arrowhead like the one in the photo (8000-10000 years old) gives me a huge thrill.

I think the best UK prehistory sites are in Orkney. The albums below have some info too.

Leicestershire is quite big and I only live in a small part of it ......... but it's ok for now. I'd much rather be living in the middle of nowhere, between the sea and the mountains, or in another country entirely. We'll see what happens.

The UK is a fascinating country (or grouping of countries) from a historical and landscape perspective. I've made as many pages as I can about places large and small. They are listed on my England and Wales pages. I've been to Scotland as well, but too long ago to have the photos available for VT.

So.....onwards and upwards, exploring and finding-out, seeing what there is to see, by myself or not. The world is a huge place, with an infinity of excitements. How can one not be thrilled by the potentials and possibilities?

• Intro Updated Dec 20, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
leics's Profile Photo

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Real Name