"You know you are in Bangkok when..." Bangkok by gwen_tifa
Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,207 reviews and 22,521 photos
Yes! I am back to Thailand after 2 years - with a whole lot of errands to run, places to visit and friends to meet up! Glad to have met up with old friends and best of all, this is the first time i ever met up with a VT member overseas! Thanks Jock, for the warm hospitality!
Also not forgetting best ever made friends whom I met 2 years ago from a Community Service Project. They have made my stay one of the most memorable. It's makes it harder and sadder when i know my stay in Thailand was so brief on my last day of stay this year. And I am still suffering from some kind of post-trip depression... And to find out I left my heart in Thailand.
Even before I arrived in this city from Krabi, I could smell the air of Bangkok on the train on my way, and I know I was about to reach the city. Yes, after 18 hours of gruelling bus and train ride - and lesson learnt - trains are never on time! and that the bus drivers drive as though they are in an arcade. Phew , what a ride but that was certainly SOMETHING to remember!
Locate the wholesale markets where you don't even need to bargain and reap a good harvest of your shopping cart - especially for the female shoppers! :)
Like the picture on the left, this wholesale market is awesome. What you see is only one of the shops that I have entered to avoid the human jam outside. The ladies here are dressed up and singing to attract customers to patronize their shops. You can buy real cheap broches, earrings and necklaces - better if you buy in dozens! For me, I would give Chatukcak a miss and head down here! There's a mini stall that sells really good thai noodles. Aroy maak maak, and thuk maak maak (delicious and cheap!)
The various monuments , the Palace, ferry rides along the Chao Praya etc.
....And of course a lot more other things
- Pros:Shop and walk till you drop
- Cons:Traffic congestion everywhere (whether human or vehicle)
- In a nutshell:Exciting place to find traditional culture and modernization fused together
Getting out of Bangkok via 1) Bus/Vans Check out the map to locate the various bus terminals. Buses to the north are... more travel advice
gwen_tifa's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 2 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- Uploaded a Photo to "Oct 06 - How much did I remember about names?"
- created a Bangkok Travelogue "Oct 06 - How much did I remember about names?"
- Wrote a Review Getting out of Bangkok around Thailand in Bangkok Transportation
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "RE: RE: How to get from Krabi to..."
- Commented on one of SumTingWong's Bangkok travel pages
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Loei Intro, 2 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ko Chang Intro, 2 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ayuthaya Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sapa Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Huangshan Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Laos Intro, 9 photos, 4 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Bangkok hotel reviews
- Chinatown Hotel Bangkok
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Banglumpoo Place
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 11, 2013
- Majestic Suites
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Miramar Hotel Bangkok
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Watana Mansion
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Arun Residence
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Landmark Bangkok
- 561 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Premier Inn
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Narai Hotel
- 232 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Sawasdee Khaosan Inn
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- King Royal 2
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Benz Resident
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 23, 2012
- Hotel Union Tower
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2012
- Baan Dinso Hostel
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013