"On the way to... Ani" Kars Ili by ByeByeBayan
Kars Ili Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 127 photos
Between Yusufeli and Kars, the scenery on the road is beautiful. I did not take any photo in Kars. My purpose was to visit Ani, which is 45 km away from Kars. A thousand years ago Ani was the capital of an Armenian kingdom. Right on the border with modern Armenia, it is now uninhabited for more than three centuries. I explored the ruins of those medieval Armenian churches under the supervision of soldiers in civilian clothes and of my taxi driver. Part of the site is forbidden to visitors, but all photos are now allowed. Ani had once a population of at least 100 000 and it was known as the "city of a thousand and one churches" on the Silk Road. The site where it has been built is spectacular. The authorization is not necessary anymore, and you don’t have to buy the ticket at the museum anymore. You can buy it on the site.
The road is beautiful from Yusufeli to Kars. There are 2 of them : the Southern one via Gole, which is much shorter, and... more travel advice
At the end of the visit, when you are near the palace, you have a view over a beautiful valley. more travel advice
ByeByeBayan's Related Pages
Kars Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the way to... Ani"
- "KARS-Turk-Armenian-Russian history"
- "Far Away Kars"
- "Ani Walkthrough - Part 1"
- "KARS, CITY OF HISTORY & CULTURE"
- "Welcome to Kars"
- "Kars, the easternmost city of Turkey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kars Ili
- Hotels in Kars Ili
- Transportation in Kars Ili
- Nightlife in Kars Ili
- Restaurants in Kars Ili
- Shopping in Kars Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Kars Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kars Ili
- 15 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Kars Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kars Ili
Top 5 Pages
- Kars Ili Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dogubayazit Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Van Ili Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bitlis Ili Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Ahlat Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos