"Home of Lipizzaners - UNDER CONSTRUCTION" Top 5 Page for this destination Lipica by novsco61
Lipica Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 166 photos
It was a beautiful autumn Sunday and we decided to visit Lipica, the home of famous Lipizaner horses. The village is just 2 km from Italian border and most of the visitors were Italians. There were also a lot of buses with tourists from nearby Croatia who made daytrips to Lipica and Postojna Caves.
The beginnings of horse breeding in Lipica date back to year 1580 when Archduke Karel,son of Ferdinand I., bought collapsing manor from Bishof of Trieste.After 2 centuries Napoleon army took 300 horses and sent them to Hungarian town Szekesfehervar.In the year 1805 , when Napoleon announced war with Austria and Russia,the horses were sent to Džakovo in Slavonia,Croatia and to Hungary for 2 years .But that was not the last time that the horses were sent away. In the year 1915 they were sent to Vienna because of the Italian announcement of war. After the war the horses were divided between Vienna and Italy.Lipica was under Italy till 1943. When Italy capitulated,the Germans took horses to Czech teritory.
The Americans seized the horses and sent them to Bavaria to protect them
from Red Army.After the WW2 almost all the horses were sent to Italy, only 11 were returned to Lipica.
novsco61's Related Pages
Lipica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Lipizzaners - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- "Home of the worlds most beautiful horses."
- "Lipica - Home of the Famous Horses"
- "DOBRODOSLI TO MY LIPICA PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lipica
- Hotels in Lipica
- Transportation in Lipica
- Nightlife in Lipica
- Restaurants in Lipica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lipica
- 16 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Lipica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lipica
Photos in LipicaSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana Intro, 69 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Opatija Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Jerba Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lipica Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obcina Bohinj Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues