Ile de Jerba Things to Do Tips by novsco61 Top 5 Page for this destination
Ile de Jerba Things to Do: 52 reviews and 106 photos
Causeway to the mainland on the south of the Island Djerba.
A potter sits on a riser creating works while the tourists watch. Guellala is a big pottery-producing centre which uses local clay quarried from the hills above the village. Its main street is lined with shops piled high with pots and plates.
The Museum displays various scenes of traditional life through waxwork figures.
It was opened in 2001 and is really worth visiting.
Musée Guellala is historically interesting, especially for children, to see how things were done long, long ago. Several of the pavilions have live demonstrations including a traditional olive oil press using a camel.
There is also a gallery where you can buy really beautiful paintings. You can even get your name written in arabic handwriting.The museum is set in a beautiful garden on the hill. From the minaret you can admire beautiful view of the Guellala village.
Gallala is a town built on pottery - and of pottery too! Its main street features more than 40 stores selling pottery, of every design and shape imaginable. There are wonderful pieces to be found and deals to be made but bargaining is essential. Prices are marked but plan to pay only about half of what is marked or less if you buy several pieces at the same shop.
The El Ghriba synagogue bombings in Djerba, Tunisia were the first Al Qaeda attacks outside of Afghanistan after the 9/11 hijackings. In April 2002, at least 19 tourists were killed, mostly Germans.
That's why we were exrayed before entering the synanogue.
The El Ghriba synagogue in the town of Hara Seghira, Djerba, Tunisia. Though this building is less than a century old, a synagogue has been operating continuously on this site for over two thousand years.
It was built by the Cohanim in the hara zrira. Visitors have donated many gifts to the synagogue, creating a significant collection of ritual objects. At the end of the nineteenth century, in order to maintain the prominence of the Ghriba Synagogue, Djerba rabbis declared that no other synagogues in the hara zrira would keep a Torah scroll on its premises. Ghriba Synagogue is the center of all Jewish communities in Djerba.
The Ghriba Synagogue became an architectural model for almost all of the synagogues and yeshivot built in Djerba because of its importance as a holy place. Thus, the basic structure of all the synagogues is the same.
More Reviews (23)
- See All Desert Rose
- See All Medicines
- See All Drinking water
- See All Temperatures thru the year
- See All Crazy drivers
novsco61's Related Pages
Ile de Jerba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island of Djerba"
- "Djerba adventure"
- "Djerba - The Enchanted Island"
- "Djerba Island"
- "Djerba - Isle of Forgetfulness"
- "Island of the Lotus Eaters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ile de Jerba
- Hotels in Ile de Jerba
- Transportation in Ile de Jerba
- Nightlife in Ile de Jerba
- Restaurants in Ile de Jerba
- Shopping in Ile de Jerba
- Warnings and Dangers in Ile de Jerba
- See All...
Explore the World
- Loveland Hotels
- Round Island Hotels
- Chambers Island Hotels
- Pinarbasi Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ile de Jerba
- 29 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ile de Jerba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ile de Jerba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana Intro, 69 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Opatija Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Jerba Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lipica Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obcina Bohinj Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (22)
Latest Ile de Jerba hotel reviews
- Club Marmara Yasmine (complexe Dar Jerba)
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Vincci Resort Djerba
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Sidi Mansour Resort
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Yadis Djerba Golf Thalasso & Spa
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2012
- Park Inn
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Hotel Djerba Haroun
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Melia Palm Azur
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Radisson Blu Resort & Thalasso, Djerba
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013