"Djerba - The Enchanted Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Jerba by novsco61
Ile de Jerba Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 750 photos
I decided to go to Djerba to take a little rest from work and to get more sun warmth.
Djerba or Jerba as Arabs call it is an island in Tunisia.It is situated in the southern part of the country, in the Gulf of Gabes.It is very flat, with no or very little vegetation. Only palms and olive trees.The economy is based upon the production of dates, figs and olives, the production of olive oil, the fishing of sponges, oyster and octopus. Small industries produce pottery, jewellery and clothes. Over recent decades, tourism has grown into the single most important source of revenue for the island.
The main town is Houmt Souk on the nortwest of the island.Jerba is said to have more than 200 mosques, many built in a distinct style, soft walls and corners, whitewashed and with minarets of phallic shapes.
The population today are mainly Sunni Muslims, but there still exists a community of Khariji Muslims around the village of Guellela, a community of Jews in the centre and a community of Christians in Houmt Souq.
There are many villages, but no big towns .The only town is the capital Houmt Souq, while the second town, Midoun, is not so exciting.
The Desert Rose also known as the Sand Rose or the Rose des Sables in French is a curious display of gypsum crystals... more travel advice
"Sidi Bou Said" birdcages in white or olive wood are world famous and can be used as planters, for decoration and ........ more travel advice
- See All Medicines
- See All Drinking water
- See All Crazy drivers
- See All Coming by plane
novsco61's Related Pages
Ile de Jerba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island of Djerba"
- "Djerba adventure"
- "Djerba - The Enchanted Island"
- "Djerba Island"
- "Djerba - Isle of Forgetfulness"
- "Island of the Lotus Eaters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ile de Jerba
- Hotels in Ile de Jerba
- Transportation in Ile de Jerba
- Nightlife in Ile de Jerba
- Restaurants in Ile de Jerba
- Shopping in Ile de Jerba
- Warnings and Dangers in Ile de Jerba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ile de Jerba
- 29 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ile de Jerba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ile de Jerba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana Intro, 69 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 41 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 27 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Opatija Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Jerba Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kranjska Gora Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lipica Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Obcina Bohinj Intro, 29 reviews, 32 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues