"Florence" Florence by Polly74
Florence Travel Guide: 5,155 reviews and 11,389 photos
It takes a long time before visiting Florence, but I immediately felt in love for this city.
I loved its charm, all the beauties you can find there, and to walk around watching shops.
An other thing I really appreciated is finally to look with my eyes the monuments, the scultures and the paintings I always studied about during my history of arts' classes.
The name of the city comes from the Roman colony of Florentia, founded in 59 BC.
Florence was a small regional capital until 1865, when it was proclaimed the capital of Italy. Finding buildings for the Court, Ministries and offices of the Kingdom of Italy was not a problem in a city with a palace at every street corner. Housing 20,000 government bureaucrats created many problems. The domino effect resulted in the kicking of the lower classes out of their dwellings. The center of the town was taken over by slums, the middle classes moved to the suburbs.
This magnificent view of Florence is taken from a "picture spot" outside the city, complete with parking for cars and... more travel advice
Notice something unique on the top of the facade? A Star of David. The church contains funeral monuments of famous... more travel advice
Polly74's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Rome Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Torino Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos
- Milan Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Trier Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos