"Florence" Florence by Polly74

Florence Travel Guide: 5,191 reviews and 11,574 photos

It takes a long time before visiting Florence, but I immediately felt in love for this city.
I loved its charm, all the beauties you can find there, and to walk around watching shops.
An other thing I really appreciated is finally to look with my eyes the monuments, the scultures and the paintings I always studied about during my history of arts' classes.

We started our visit from Piazzale Michelangelo, when we could admire the whole city with a look.

The name of the city comes from the Roman colony of Florentia, founded in 59 BC.

Florence was a small regional capital until 1865, when it was proclaimed the capital of Italy. Finding buildings for the Court, Ministries and offices of the Kingdom of Italy was not a problem in a city with a palace at every street corner. Housing 20,000 government bureaucrats created many problems. The domino effect resulted in the kicking of the lower classes out of their dwellings. The center of the town was taken over by slums, the middle classes moved to the suburbs.

• Last visit to Florence: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2004

• m-joy's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 12:25 AM

Well done page! Funny parking story, so they had enough time to take brilliant night shots ;-) !

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 5:04 AM

very nice page and pics, brings back memories, greetings Alphons...

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2004 at 2:43 PM

Great page, brought me right back to my last trip over. I'm ready to come back. Is that "picture spot" Fiesole?

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2004 at 2:35 PM

Nice page on a wonderful city. The Uffizi is one of my favorite museums anywhere!

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2004 at 6:15 AM

Look forward to some more!

Polly74

“Nobody can be free if obliged to be similar to others”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence