"Siracusa" Siracusa by Polly74
Siracusa Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 942 photos
Located near the southeastern corner of Sicily on the Ionian coast, Siracusa is built on an ancient Greek settlement founded by Corinthians in 734 BC.
More than any other modern city in Sicily, Syracuse manifests a visible continuity from its ancient Greek past, both historical and mythological. Its older quarter is an island, Ortegia (or Ortygia, from the Greek for "quail," probably named for that bird's abundance in this area).
Ortegia is known for, among many other things, the freshwater Spring of Arethusa. When Artemis changed Arethusa into a spring of water to escape the river god Alpheus, it was here that the transformed maiden emerged.
If Palermo offers more medieval monuments than any other Sicilian city, Syracuse is unsurpassed for its ancient architecture and warm people.
There are beaches nearby, and there's no shortage of good restaurants in Syracuse, but we suggest you avoid those that offer "tourist menus" in favor of the charming pizzerias and seafood restaurants. The seafood specialties are seasonal to some extent. The pasta dishes with mussels and urchins are especially tasty but more available in Spring and Fall than Summer.
Polly74's Related Pages
Siracusa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Siracusa UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Sunny Syracuse"
- "Siracusa: a Sicilian gem"
- "... a staircase to heaven"
- "Something for everyone"
- "There is plenty to see and eat in Siracusa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siracusa
- Hotels in Siracusa
- Transportation in Siracusa
- Nightlife in Siracusa
- Restaurants in Siracusa
- Shopping in Siracusa
- Warnings and Dangers in Siracusa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siracusa
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Siracusa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siracusa
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Naples Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Rome Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Torino Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos
- Milan Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Trier Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos