"Malaysia - The land of diversity" Malaysia by Robin922
Malaysia Travel Guide: 27,568 reviews and 68,391 photos
While I thought I had seen diversity, Malaysia brought new meaning to the word. Not only do you have thousands of years of history, but currently several distinctive cultures living side by side.
The majority is Malay, however there are many people of Chinese and Indian decent. Each group with their own languages, religions & customs. The mix makes for some very interesting cuisine, not to mention conversations. Commutating is relatively easy, in the cities and other areas that attract tourists finding bi-lingual people is very easy and tri-lingual isn’t rare. English is a common second or third language. However, one should remember that Malaysia was a British Colony until the mid 1950s so the English is ‘Queen’s English’ not ‘American English’.
In this little country, you can see everything from modern buildings like the Pertornus Towers to buildings dating back to the 1700s. You can enjoy the city life in Kuala Lumpur or take a walk on the wild side in the rain forests.
If architecture is your cup of tea, no shortage of variety here! If you take a little time are read up on the highlights of the country’s history you will discover that Malaysia has flown under several flags over the years, and each one has left a bit of its self on the landscape.
If ‘Shop till you drop’ is your motto, you can spend days never seeing the same store twice. While not everything is cheaper than other places, a little time researching will let you know how many empty suitcases to bring.
If culture & religions tickle your fancy, Malaysia offers some great opportunities to learn. While the county is Islamic, it’s a very tolerant Islamic. Especially in places like Kuala Lumpur and Malacca. While you don’t have to look far to find a mosque, there are no shortages of temples & churches either.
For those who enjoy natural beauty and wildlife, there is no shortage of things to see and experience. You can enjoy roughing it on a jungle trek, or visit any one of the many parks and sanctuaries.
- Pros:Relatively inexpensive, something for most anyone
- Cons:RUDE DRIVERS, some places are dirty and poor quality of restrooms
The Batu Cave is always an interesting place to visit, however, if you should happen to be in the area during... more travel advice
Shoes are not worn in religious buildings or home! If you plan to visit many of the mosques or temples, wear... more travel advice
Robin922's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 23 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 61 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 20 reviews, 18 photos
- Schiphol Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuching Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos
- Alkmaar Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City 7 reviews, 4 photos
Top Malaysia hotels
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- 5923 Reviews - 13230 Photos
- Pulau Langkawi Hotels
- 1358 Reviews - 3039 Photos
- Port Dickson Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 378 Photos
- Kuala Terengganu Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 308 Photos
- Penang Hotels
- 2422 Reviews - 5106 Photos
- Cameron Highlands Hotels
- 566 Reviews - 1700 Photos
- Kuching Hotels
- 785 Reviews - 2068 Photos
- Kota Kinabalu Hotels
- 1038 Reviews - 2697 Photos
- Melaka Hotels
- 1562 Reviews - 3793 Photos
- Johor Bahru Hotels
- 511 Reviews - 897 Photos
- Genting Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 965 Photos
- Miri Hotels
- 219 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Kuantan Hotels
- 154 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Pulau Sapi Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Pulau Tioman Hotels
- 439 Reviews - 1039 Photos