"Apo Island, underwater paradise" Apo Island by arni_ph075
Apo Island Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 72 photos
Apo Island is internationally acclaim for its dive sites. Apo is only a 72 hectares volcanic rock island in the Mindanao sea, with population of around 700 and growing who are mostly fisherman and employee of the govt that help protect the Apo Island sanctuary.
There is a church, an elementary school and several sari sari stores for basic needs. There is no nighlife to speak off , I like it that way, no blaring karaoke machines singing "My Way" on the middle of the night.
Water is scarce, and expensive too, all drinking water are still coming from the mainland. The people are very friendly, and can speak conversational English, probably because of the foreign divers that frequent visit the place.
I truly admire the friendliness of the people of Apo and their willingness to help, people know as well when you arrive and what resort you are staying, hmm... that really shows how small the island is, local knows all new guests . The vendors are all interested to know when are you going home... why? for them to sell their "only in Apo" tshirt.
The island boast of spectacular coral gardens and diverse marine life, prompting the government of the Philippines to declare it as a marine reserve.
Guidelines from the local govt ...
1. Entire island being a marine reserve, 500meters offshore from high tide mark, is protected from all fishing methods. Friendly reminder for divers, spear fishing is not allowed on this area.
2. For the coral reef "fish sanctuary" on the south east of the island, fishing is prohibited year round and it is highly encourages for snorkelers , not to step on the coral reefs, as its the habitat of small fishes. Once destroyed, its very hard for it to grow and be place for the fish.
Exciting island experience on the fish sanctuary area ..
1.There is a Clownfish city, for those fans of Nemo this is the place to go..spectacular, indeed a city.
2. A school of jack fish is a bonus to all divers and snorkelers. It is frightening at first, as I fear that a single bite from each of the jackfish, 2 seconds you are gone. That is just from my hyperactive imagination, jackfish didnt bite me, but they circle around for few moments, before it swim away.
Cebu Pacific flies daily from Manila to Dumaguete City.
From Dumaguete, arrange for a transfer from your resort in Apo.
Else, ride a jeep to the town of Zamboangita, from its jeepney terminal, ride another jeep to Malatapay Market.
Then walk towards the beach around 600 meters, you will find several boats, there is a regular schedule, last trip is around 3:30pm.
The current is very strong going to Apo Island, and 99% of the time you will be drench with the waves, so be careful. The boat ride takes only 30 minutes.
Approaching Apo, this is the first view of the island, the Apo Island Beach Resort, lovely isnt it.
- Pros:Clowfish City, fish sanctuary, friendly people
- Cons:I cannot think of any
- In a nutshell:A piece of paradise
Diving and snorkeling are the main reason for the visits to the island.. Around the island there are 11 dive... more travel advice
If you grow tired of underwater adventures like diving and snorkeling, the resort got very inviting lounge chair... more travel advice
arni_ph075's Related Pages
Apo Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Apo Island, underwater paradise"
- "Small, basic island - with plenty of good diving.."
- "Apo Island"
- "Apo Island"
- "Truly a paradise island."
- "The Secret Garden-- Under the Sea"
- "Apo Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Apo Island
- Hotels in Apo Island
- Transportation in Apo Island
- Nightlife in Apo Island
- Restaurants in Apo Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Apo Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Apo Island
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Apo Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apo Island
- Posted in Travel Singapore Forum "Re: Rerstaurants"
- Commented on one of Juds's Apo Island travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sun bathing / Read a book"
- updated a Apo Island Travel Page "Apo Island, underwater paradise"
- Wrote a Review One of South East Asia best diving destination in Apo Island Sports & Outdoors
Top 10 Pages
- Ubud Intro, 18 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bagan Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tagaytay City Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coron Island Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Davao City Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banawe Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos