"Borovets (formerly known as Cham Koria)" Top 5 Page for this destination Borovec by hekate
Borovec Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 163 photos
OK, here is what is written on the hotel Rila site and quite agree with their description:
"Borovets, the first and most famous Bulgarian mountain resort, is situated on the northern slopes of the Rila Mountain at an altitude of 1350 meters. The resort enjoys a perfect location right at the foot of Mount Moussala (2925 m), the highest peak on the Balkans. Only 72 km away from Sofia and just 126 km away from Plovdiv, Borovets is easily accessible from all parts of Bulgaria.
In the summer Borovets is just as marvelous as it is in the winter. It offers everything a perfect vacation takes: clean and fresh air, serene centuries-old pine forests, green meadows sprinkled with fragrant flowers and herbs, blue lakes and majestic snow-capped peaks. For nature-lovers the resort is a favorite vacation spot and starting point of many hiking routs in the Rila Mountains. And when the sun has gone down, the resort begins to pulse with the numerous lights of the nightlife..."
Borovets is the oldest Bulgarian resort, which dates back to 1896, when the mayor of the town of Samokov built a wooden cabin to help cure his wife, who suffered from tuberculosis.
The resort was known under the name of Chamkoria, which translated from Turkish means "Pine forest".
At the beginning of the 20th century Kniaz Ferdinand initiated the building of three palaces - Bistritsa, Sitnyakovo and Saragyol, as well as of Yastrebets Mountain Hut, and thus marks the birth of the attractive mountain resort.
In the 60s and the 70s of the last century the construction of the first hotels and recreation hostels began and they are now an inseparable part of the image of the Borovets Resort Complex.
This is one of the things that I find truly annoying about Borovets. Seems that the streets, especially this one running... more travel advice
I was walking alongside Rila hotel and my eyes were scanning the shops for some useless souvenier or a nice CD when I... more travel advice
- See All Squirrel
- Just an idea for a souvenire
- Hotel Rila Nightclub
- See All Map and orientation
hekate's Related Pages
Borovec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Borovets (formerly known as Cham Koria)"
- "Sandy's new Bulgaria Page"
- "Skiing in Borovetz : The Take-Off"
- "A great experience--skiing limited though"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borovec
- Hotels in Borovec
- Transportation in Borovec
- Nightlife in Borovec
- Restaurants in Borovec
- Shopping in Borovec
- Warnings and Dangers in Borovec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Borovec
- 26 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Borovec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borovec
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 99 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Borovec Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 29 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melnik Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Devin Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Trigrad Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos