"Kardjali" Kurdzhali by hekate
Kurdzhali Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 75 photos
Kardjali is located in the very heart of the eastern Rhodope mountain, along the two banks of the Arda river, 100 km southeast of Plovdiv. 6000 years-old remains of human life as well as ample examples of the presence of Thracian, Roman, Byzantine, late-Ottoman and Bulgarian culture have been found on the territory of the town. After the town's liberation from the Ottoman rule in 1912, Kardjali became the "tobacco warehouse of the eastern Rhodopes", as some of the best quality tobaccos are grown on the special soils in the region. Landmarks of interest are the 11th-12th century Bulgarian basilica "St. John the Precursor", the Historical Museum, housed in a vast mosque-like building and containing superb collections from prehistoric ritual objects to ethnographic costumes and crafts. The two big dams on both sides of the town are excellent places for tourism, water sports and entertainment. Kardjali is the starting point for visits to the numerous rock formations in the region-the Stone Wedding and mushrooms, the Stone Forest, the Rock Widow, the Rocks at Ustra, and the medieval fortress of Perperek.
hekate's Related Pages
Kurdzhali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "faim82's new Kurdzhali Page"
- "The stone wedding."
- "Kurdjali - the muslim town"
- "Kurjali Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kurdzhali
- Hotels in Kurdzhali
- Nightlife in Kurdzhali
- Restaurants in Kurdzhali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kurdzhali
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kurdzhali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kurdzhali
Photos in KurdzhaliSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 99 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Borovec Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 29 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melnik Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Devin Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Trigrad Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos