"Rila" Top 5 Page for this destination Rila by hekate
Rila Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 240 photos
Rila is the highest mountain in Bulgaria and on the whole Balkan Peninsula.
The name Rila is derived from the Thracian word roula, meaning ‘lots of water’ due to the beautiful perenial lakes and mineral springs in the area. One can find there the springs of three biggest Bulgarian rivers: Marica, Iskr and Mesta and more than 140 lakes.
It is a part of the Rila-Rhodope Massif and occupies its north-east end. Rila seems to be a piece of the Alps thrown into the heart of the Balkans with its 130 Alpine peaks above 2000m, glacial valleys and lakes.
Rila is a ideal place for hiking, mountain climbing and skiing.
Eastern Rila is the highest part of the mountain where one can visit Rila's highest mount-Moussala (2 925 m) and the 10 top peaks, and the highest lake in Rila-the Glacial lake (2 709 m).
Northwestern Rila is the home to some of the symbols of Bulgarian alpinism and mountaineering-Maliovitsa and Kupenite peaks, and the biggest and significant lake groups, the most famous and scenic of all - the 7 Rila lakes. The most of the chalets and high mountain shelters are in this part of the mountain. Many marked tourist hiking trails and high-mountain rock climbing tours originate from here.
Rila National Park, the largest national park in Bulgaria, is located about 100 km. south of Sofia, in the central and highest regions of the Rila Mountains.
Rila National Park is located in the Rila Mountains, between 41° 53’ and 42° 19’ north latitude and 23° 07’ and 23° 55’ east longitude, in the southwestern region of Bulgaria. It comprises the treeless areas along the mountain ridge and sections of the coniferous forests below it. Its territory occupies 30% of the entire mountain. The mountain peaks along the main ridges rise to an average height of 2,700 meters above sea level and includes the highest peak in the Balkan Peninsula: Mussala (2,925 meters).
The Park contains large meadows, over 100 peaks rising above 2,000 meters, as well as a variety of rock faces, precipices, caves, deep canyons, and waterfalls. Its territory is dotted with about 120 lakes—70 date back from the Ice Age.
The Park contains rare and endangered wildlife species and communities, self-regulating ecosystems of biological diversity, as well as historic sites of global cultural and scientific significance.
The Park was established on February 24, 1992 to conserve the natural heritage of the Rila Mountains as well as the local traditions, culture, and livelihoods linked with the area.
Rila National Park is one of the largest and most valuable protected areas in Europe. The Park and all four of its nature reserves are on the UN List of Representative Protected Areas. The Parangalitsa Reserve and the former Marichini Ezera Reserve (now incorporated in the territory of Central Rila Reserve) are part of the World Biospheric Reserves Network under the UNESCO Man and Biosphere Program. Central Rila is the largest nature reserve in Bulgaria and covers a total area of 12,393.7 hectares. Parangalitsa, designated in 1933, is one of the oldest Bulgarian nature reserves.
- Area: 81,046 hectares
- Highest elevation: Mussala at 2,925 meters above sea level
- Lowest elevation: the area above Blagoevgrad, at 800 meters above sea level
- Wooded area: 53,481 hectares
- Treeless areas: 27,565 hectares
- 90% of all ecosystems are natural
- four nature reserves, with a combined area of 16,222.1 hectares
This is one of the most popular Bulgarian ski resorts. It is well known not only in Bulgaria but abroad. Actually, when... more travel advice
The spring is so cold that you can not hold your finger under the running water for more than 30 seconds. On the rock... more travel advice
hekate's Related Pages
Rila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rila Mountain"
- "RILA WONDERFUL DAY TRIP THROUGH BULGARIAN HILLS"
- "Convincing my friend"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Nice day trip"
- "Just under the sky... or over everything in BG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rila
- Hotels in Rila
- Transportation in Rila
- Restaurants in Rila
- Warnings and Dangers in Rila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rila
- 23 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Rila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rila
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 99 reviews, 113 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Borovec Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 29 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rila Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melnik Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Devin Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos
- Trigrad Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos