"El Fuerte~Colonial Mexico's Finest" El Fuerte by pabertra
El Fuerte Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 65 photos
El Fuerte is steeped in history (see below) and is a beautiful old colonial Mexican town of about 30,000 inhabitants. It is also a prime destination to catch the Copper Canyon Train, El Chepe, and has a stunning hotel (see my tip).
For three centuries it was the most important commercial and agricultural center of the vast northwestern region of Mexico. El Fuerte was a chief trading post for silver miners and gold seekers from the Urique and Batopilas mines in the nearby mountains.
In 1824, El Fuerte became the capital of Sonora y Sinaloa (reaching up into Arizona). It remained so for several years until the dissolution of this state.
- Pros:Steeped in History
- Cons:Not Enough Time to Explore Before Catching the Train!
- In a nutshell:Colonial Mexico at it's Finest!
pabertra's Related Pages
El Fuerte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Fuerte (The Fort)"
- "A quiet charming town-Gateway to El Chepe"
- "El Fuerte~Colonial Mexico's Finest"
- "Starting our Copper Canyon tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Fuerte
- Hotels in El Fuerte
- Restaurants in El Fuerte
- Shopping in El Fuerte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Fuerte
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to El Fuerte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Fuerte
- Uploaded a Photo to "El Fuerte~Colonial Mexico's Finest"
- created a El Fuerte Travel Page "El Fuerte~Colonial Mexico's Finest"
- Wrote a Review Walking Tour of Historic El Fuerte in El Fuerte Things to Do
- Commented on one of susanpingu's El Fuerte travel pages
- Posted in Travel Puerto Rico Forum "Puddlejumpers to St. Thomas"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 104 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Córdoba Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos
- Kentucky Intro, 30 reviews, 52 photos
- Madrid Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Toledo Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos