"Welcome to the port of Nassau" New Providence Island by pabertra

New Providence Island Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 5 photos

New Providence Island is a cruise ship mecca boasting the infamous port of Nassau. This island holds Atlantis, one of the finest hotels in the Caribbean. Their is not a lot to do beyond the general tourist trap type of activities, but if you are looking for a vacation where you want to do nothing but relax then this is your place. *****Before you read this next part keep in mind that I love to travel and very rarely have something negative to say about a destination*****Overall I left the Bahamas completely unimpressed.The Bohemian dollar is equal to the American dollar only in the Bahamas, what a rip!!!! The service was pitiful, maybe this is just part of the Bohemian lifestyle, but I was paying the American price! The island was overcommercialized and a complete tourist trap! Things are very expensive there and in hindsight I do not think the money spent there was worth it! I would not recommend this destination to anyone, believe me you are not missing anything by avoiding this place!

General Information

These 700 island nation unites under this flag. The Bahamas were traditionally British islands, so they speak English and drive on the left side of the road. The currency is the Bohemian dollar or the American dollar. The capital city is Nassau.

• Pros:Nice Beaches in the Southwest, Atlantis
  • Cons:Dirty, Overtouristy, Little Culture, Poor Service, Expensive!
  • In a nutshell:Try one of the Out Islands Instead!
  • Last visit to New Providence Island: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2007

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 6:07 AM

Nassau was my first trip outside the U.S. It was 1960 and I was 15. I was VERY impressed back then. Looks like things have become much too comercialized there now.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2004 at 2:48 PM

I wasn't overly impressed with the Bahamas either, but I'm still glad I went there. Thanks for the honest assessment.

pabertra

“~T~ake R~isks A~d~V~entures and most of all E~njoy L~ife---TRAVEL”

Badges & Stats in New Providence Island

Have you been to New Providence Island?

Latest Activity in New Providence Island