"Gaeta & The Love of my Life" Top 5 Page for this destination Gaeta by dietzdrummer

Gaeta Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 331 photos

Gaeta is located between Rome and Naples, and has been a favorite seaside resort since the ancient Roman era. During the middle ages Gaeta became a fortified city. Naturally fortified because of the way the land juts out into the sea, and drops with steep cliffs, additional walls were built with towers to complete its fortifications. Remains of the old wall can still be seen.

Gaeta has seen many wars and battles In 844 the city fell to Arabs. In the 11th century to Normans. In 1707 it was stormed,by a 3 month siege by Austrians. Sieged by the French and taken in 1799. In 1860 is was the stand of Francis II against the forces of United Italy. The city was heavily damaged during World War II ,but has been rebuilt.

U.S. Military presence

Since 1967 the U.S. Naval Sixth Fleet flagship has called Gaeta home. In the early 1970's I was stationed on the U.S Springfield CLG-7, which was flagship at the time. It was in Gaeta, 33 years ago, that I met my wife to be. An American girl from Texas who just happened to be there, and loved going for rides on my M.V. Agusta. This year we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and made our pilgrimage back to Gaeta.

USS Lasalle at dusk

• Last visit to Gaeta: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2004

• Dec 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Great picture, my husband was on the Springfield in 1972 and I lived there with him . We have gone back several times, latest for a month in June 09. It is still beautiful and has changed little. We hope to go back again in 2011.

• Jun 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I was stationed aboard the USS Puget Sound from 1983-1985 in Gaeta. Your page brings back a lot of memories. I'm thinking of taking my wife there-she's never been

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM

A great page on Gaeta, made me want to go there. Happy birthday from Finland!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 1:54 AM

How wonderful to see your Gaeta page, with stunning pictures. you had a great time here.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 2:54 AM

So wonderful page of Gaeta. I like it very much. Thanks!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 3:57 AM

A wonderful tour of "Old Gaeta" has re-emphasized why I love it so much..Mt. Orlando, Mausoleum of Lucia ..., Churches ( in your excellent travelogue), and walks in "Old Gaeta". Thanks for sharing.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2004 at 9:24 PM

Just wonderful........thank you for reminding me of one of my most favourite town on the Mediterranean Coast..........I am glad that you enjoyed your visit.

dietzdrummer

“live well, love lots, laugh often”

Badges & Stats in Gaeta