"Miracle" Gopeng by yuet29

Gopeng Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 37 photos

I went to Gopeng once. That was the trip from Penang to Gua Tempurung. That time I was teaching in a secondary school. I was with one of my 15 years old student on that trip.

Initially a few teachers wanted to go with me, so I think 3 teachers with one student whouldnt be a problem. But last minute 2 of my friends drawn up. No choice. I had bought the coach tix, so just go.

That was a sunny day. We bought a 2 hours under water tour- go in from the cave and come out from the down stream water into the river. We went into the cave at 2pm and should be out by 4pm. When we started the water part inside the cave, outside started to rain..

Hmm.. that was a dying experience.. the water from uphill swept into the cave. The tide increase from ankle height to waist height. The current was real strong and we hardly stand on the ground. My student swept by the current. Me and a few people together in the team pulled my student so tight to hold her. I was super worry if i am alive and she is died, how am i going to explain to her parents that I dont have the right to bring her out. I may go to jail for that?..

The kind hearted guy who helped me pull my student lost his slippers.. oppss..

We were trapped inside the cave until 7pm. We found a small hole, bend ourselves inside the hole.. Only one torch is used because we afraid we have to overnight in the cave.. At around 6 something, the guide who left us half way with two other team mate found us. We were lucky we were not with them. One of the girl cried when she saw us. the water nearly covered them and they only hold on to a small stalactite. I cant imagine if the water keep increasing.. even cant imagine if I were the girl trapped outside. The water was on her nose level. If I were her I probably had given up.

The guide lead us out from the cave using another route- hard and never used route. The guide has 8 years experience in the cave and he said, he never encountered such situation in 8 years time. He is so calm, keep asking us not to worry, dont give up and we will be safe. But when I saw his tear when he hug his friend after we eventually came out from the cave, I know how worry he was.

Outside, there are police cars waiting for us, perhaps they thought we will flow out horizontally. Two team of guides trying to rescue us from inside the cave and from the river but the current is too strong and the tide was too high, they couldnt manage to go in the cave as all the passes blocked by the water.

I cant believe that, I was so near to heaven/hell. What a miracle, we are alive. Although I never completed the trip- in from cave and out from water (in fact we in from cave and out from cave), I dont think I want to visit gua tempurung again.. hehe

and yes, the day I visited Gua Tempurung is April Fool, 1999. What a fooling God had made to me?!

• Intro Updated Apr 1, 2005

• travelpug's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 8:01 AM

Wow! That was quite an experience you had! Thank goodness you are ok and live to share with us your adventure. I had been to the cave twice. Luckily nothing happened to me. Hope nothing bad ever happens to anyone.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2005 at 10:49 PM

Gua Tempurung is a really great cave-I visitied in early 2004!

yuet29

“Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew.”

Badges & Stats in Gopeng