"~ Mount Cook ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Cook National Park by mfc10
Mount Cook National Park Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 154 photos
If you like alpine scenery and happen to be in the South Island of New Zealand, you must go to Mount Cook National Park. It is not simply the highest spot of this beautiful country. The mountain itself, as well as the entire setting are nothing but magnificent!
If you make reservations well ahead of time you may stay at one of the hotels or motels; alternatively, you can camp on the site maintained by the Department of Conservation (DOC), about 2 km from the oh-so-posh Hermitage hotel. It can be found to the right of the picture above - you can't miss it...
If you like tramping (the Kiwi synonym for hiking) you should walk along the Hooker Valley. The views are simply remarkable.
Up to early summer, the hike to Muller Hut is likely to be risky, if possible at all, due to snow accumulation. Get some feedback at the DOC office, near the Hermitage hotel.
Tempted to climb the big one? Make sure you stop by the DOC office and take all advice they may have into serious consideration. The weather changes very rapidly and as a consequence, many have perished. The memorial for those who died there is a very sad spot to visit...
- Pros:Beautiful scenery...
- Cons:...weather allowing!
The Hooker Valley is a level hike that takes 3 to 4-hours along a nice creek, having the magnificent Mt. Cook always in... more travel advice
mfc10's Related Pages
Mount Cook National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Highest Peaks, Glaciers, Lakes and Icebergs"
- "Not sick of mountains? Then visit Mt Cook!"
- "~ Mount Cook ~"
- "Mount Cook"
- "Mount Cook National Park!"
- "Aoraki Mt Cook - Now you see it! Now you don't!"
- "Ball Pass, Mt Cook."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Cook National Park
- Hotels in Mount Cook National Park
- Transportation in Mount Cook National Park
- Restaurants in Mount Cook National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Cook National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Cook National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mount Cook National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Cook National Park
Photos in Mount Cook National ParkSee All Photos (7)
- New Zealand Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glenorchy Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Cook National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.