"NIGERIA" Nigeria by Wafro

Nigeria Travel Guide: 507 reviews and 1,033 photos

I can't tell you that much about the Nigerian travel destinations, I only went on a two days(illegal) excursion to the Mambila Mountains.
In my Cameroon Page you'll see, that I stayed in Sabongari for a while.
This was the starting point for my trip into the mountains.
My guide and I went all the way to Atta and passed the border without a Nigerian visa.

Here you'll see the Sabongari-Atta road, with the Mambila Mountains in the back.
After a few kilometers we left the road and went all the way up to the Donga River in Nigeria.
Over there we slept at a friends place and the day after we packed our bags, had breakfast, bought some food and water and went back to Sabongari in Cameroon.
It was a nice trek and we even spotted a few animals.

But there's one thing I can say for sure about Nigeria.
Once it was a beautiful country, but foreign multinationals and corrupt dictators are destroying entire cultures and ecosystems.
Fela Kuti sang about it, Ken Saro Wiwa wrote about it and I will repeat it.
(by the way: this isn't a political statement, these are REAL FACTS)
Look for Warnings and dangers.

• Intro Updated Jun 3, 2004

• May 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Like everywhere else the oil industry has destroyed/corupted Nigeria. I have been all over Nigeria and love the place and the vibe (thanks to the optimism of the average Nigerian) but the coruption is an issue.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2006 at 6:04 AM

This is info that should be publicised more, with the facts so blatantly clear, it makes folk more aware of issues they know so little about.

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 7:41 AM

Yes you are right about that company, am not sure if I am informed well or if it was a rumour but the government paid for the training of the employees? or at least provided logistics for it?

• high_d's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 8:18 AM

We used to live by the Donga river (about 18 years ago) how I wished I could have taken alot more pictures.Next time maybe visit Yankari Game Reserve and go to Wikki Hot Springs...very cool : ) I would love to go back to Africa - Heidi

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 1:41 PM

You did a good job, to give all this information. We had a lot of campaigns against Shell several years ago, but didn't continue ....

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 8:31 AM

I have heard about these various issues in Nigeria over the past several years, but had not seen it all put together in one place before!

Wafro

“~~> I Never Try Anything, I Just Do It <~~”

Badges & Stats in Nigeria

Have you been to Nigeria?

Latest Activity in Nigeria