"Abuko Nature Reserve" Abuko by Wafro
Abuko Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
It is open to visitors throughout the year.
The reserve is well managed and contains a tremendous diversity in vegetation.
The central portion of the reserve is composed of ground-water or gallery forest which surrounds a chain of 3 pools.
Here you can spot a lot of the local wildelife.
Four species of primate occur in the reserve; the red colobus, the green or vervet monkey, the red patas and the bushbaby. Other mammals present include sitatunga, bush buck, duiker, squirrels, porcupine, and a variety of rodents. Reptiles present include Nile and dwarf Crocodile, Lizard, Geckos, Adders, Cobras and green mamba.
- Pros:Easy to reach and accessible.
- Cons:Only 134ha big
- In a nutshell:If you wanna spot the Gambian wildlife, this is the place to be!
Insects are also abundant in the reserve, so watch out for them. They can sting and bite, so keep your shoes closed. more travel advice
There is also an animal orphanage where there are some permanent residents such as lion and hyena. more travel advice
Wafro's Related Pages
Abuko Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Abuko
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Abuko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abuko
Photos in AbukoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa 213 reviews, 402 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 60 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 44 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Houthalen Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hurghada Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Jerba Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 21 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cote D'Ivoire Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ankasa Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues