"Dubbo - Bit of a Surprise Package" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubbo by ancientmariner

Dubbo Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 84 photos

Yes, & Home of the Western Plains Zoo

Have been to Dubbo about 4 times over the last 30 years & seen it grow from just another dry dusty largish inland town to what it is today and what I refer to in my page title, a bit of a surprise package. I say this because I think Bathurst & Orange, the two major towns you pass through on the way along the Mitchell Highway to Dubbo, have probably always been a little prettier & more interesting.

Dubbo today boasts not only an excellent Zoo, the Western Plains Zoo, but also a variety of other attractions that will help you fill out anything from a weekend's stay up to a week's stay.

It is now one of the biggest inland towns with a population now nudging 40 000.

• Pros:Excellennt Zoo & other interesting attractions
  • Cons:Long drive from where I live.
  • In a nutshell:Have to see the Western Plains Zoo
  • Last visit to Dubbo: Oct 2003
  • Intro Written Apr 26, 2004

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 8:59 AM

Shame you don't share more information on Australia. Such promising work.

• GeminiKerry's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2005 at 8:18 PM

Like the Easter Bilby bit Mike! Doug & I'll have to take the girls back here again some time soon.

• Dec 17, 2004 at 5:16 AM

At last a good write up about our terrific Zoo. Yep, I like that word, "Magnificent". Good stuff Mike, come visit again!

• Jul 26, 2004 at 4:45 AM

Have to agree with soulfulsurfer. Also like your intro. Just enough info to fill us in about the town. Thanks Mike from Port!

• May 26, 2004 at 10:58 PM

Excellent & accurate start Mike. What else do you have to share about Dubbo & what about our common hometown Port Macquarie?

• May 25, 2004 at 4:38 AM

Like what you've said about Zoos Mike & yes this is a good one for the reasons you've pointed out. I agree on both counts!

• Apr 29, 2004 at 11:37 PM

Good writing in both your intro & tip Mike. Who knows, between you & aussiedoug I might even be inspired to write my own Dubbo page & tips!

• Apr 27, 2004 at 9:16 PM

Must agree with Sorin, Mike. Excellent start & please tell us more, you must have a story or two to share from your past visits.

• sifrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 12:12 PM

Excellent start, Mike! Looking forward for the continuation. Sorin

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 1:56 AM

Gr8 start Mike me old mate, old salt! I've only been 2x in the last 20 years & couldn't agree more with both your intro & tip. Gee we might even see some Port & North Haven tips now. lol!

ancientmariner

“An old salt never dies, just gets rusty!”

Ranked Member