"Mazatlan - Sunshine, Smiles, & Seafood" Top 5 Page for this destination Mazatlán by JetlagCity

Mazatlán Travel Guide: 471 reviews and 777 photos

Ocean and Desert, Side by Side

After numerous winter months of depressing grey skies, Mazatlan is the cure for me! It's relatively convenient and inexpensive for those of us living in the Northwest U.S., and its brilliant sunshine always brings a smile back to my face.

Unlike some resort towns whose entire existence was built around tourists (e.g. Cancun), Mazatlan is a great fishing town and has been peopled for hundreds of years at least, first by the native Nahuatl Indians and later, in the 1500's, as a Spanish colony. Its name means "land of the deer" in Nahuatl.

Mazatlan is just south of the tropic line, right between the more humid area to the south (Puerta Vallarta) and the desert to the north and east. It has lots of palm trees waving in the breeze, but the air is wonderfully dry, not humid at all.

I also love the giant, gentle pelicans who share the beaches and skies with you. They just add to the exotic atmosphere for me. I only wish I had taken a decent picture of them! Oh well, something to busy myself with next time... : )

• Pros:sunshine without humidity, inexpensive, great seafood
  • Cons:pesky vendors on the beach
  • Last visit to Mazatlán: Jan 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2006 at 11:37 PM

Beautiful beaches!! I would like to be on this beach right now!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 8:21 AM

Nice sunshine escape the beaches look superb & yes I would avoid the meat counter!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2005 at 6:40 PM

An excellent page on this very fun sounding place! Your hotel sounds like a great spot to spend some time in! I know what you mean about the grey winter skies and the need for a sunshine escape!!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2005 at 7:19 AM

It looks like an ideal place to relax for a week. Very good page.

• May 7, 2005 at 11:50 PM

Looks like a great place for a relaxing beach holiday! Great pictures and i bet the food was awesome too...nice work Jane.

• spartan's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 10:47 PM

Just took a Mexican Riviera cruise to Mazatlan (Deer Island) and had a blast...thanks for the memories.

• royalempress's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2005 at 3:47 PM

Hi, we didn't spend much time in Mazatland but we sure enjoy the time we did. We love the Mexican people. They remind me a little of the Turks and Italians. Very warm and generous people. I hope their economy picks up. Mike

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 7:27 PM

Well from Belize to Mazatlan , Oh why can I not be there now Great page Jane ,this must be much more relaxing then Cancun.That Hotel looks fantastic ,the tiles are so nice there Great pictures Jane .

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 3:54 PM

Great pages!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 5:17 AM

Nice page. I am not a fan of beaches (well, I can bear up to 10 minutes lying on the sun haha) but... trips around and hike up to the lighthouse sounds interesting :-)

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Mazatlán

Have you been to Mazatlán?

Latest Activity in Mazatlán