"Mazatlan - Sunshine, Smiles, & Seafood" Top 5 Page for this destination Mazatlán by JetlagCity
Mazatlán Travel Guide: 479 reviews and 784 photos
After numerous winter months of depressing grey skies, Mazatlan is the cure for me! It's relatively convenient and inexpensive for those of us living in the Northwest U.S., and its brilliant sunshine always brings a smile back to my face.
Unlike some resort towns whose entire existence was built around tourists (e.g. Cancun), Mazatlan is a great fishing town and has been peopled for hundreds of years at least, first by the native Nahuatl Indians and later, in the 1500's, as a Spanish colony. Its name means "land of the deer" in Nahuatl.
Mazatlan is just south of the tropic line, right between the more humid area to the south (Puerta Vallarta) and the desert to the north and east. It has lots of palm trees waving in the breeze, but the air is wonderfully dry, not humid at all.
I also love the giant, gentle pelicans who share the beaches and skies with you. They just add to the exotic atmosphere for me. I only wish I had taken a decent picture of them! Oh well, something to busy myself with next time... : )
- Pros:sunshine without humidity, inexpensive, great seafood
- Cons:pesky vendors on the beach
We had one overcast day the last time I was in Mazatlan, and we decided to hike up to the lighthouse, El Faro, that day.... more travel advice
On my second trip to Mazatlan, I was reminded of how beautiful this cathedral is on the inside. There's a gilded,... more travel advice
JetlagCity's Related Pages
Mazatlán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mazatlan Surf, sand and sun.."
- "Mazatlan - Just after Y2K bug destroyed the world"
- "Mazatlan Mexico by Kimberlyann"
- "guybert's Mazatlan pages!"
- "Mazatlan - Sunshine, Smiles, & Seafood"
- "Some Good Values in Mazatlan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mazatlán
- Hotels in Mazatlán
- Transportation in Mazatlán
- Nightlife in Mazatlán
- Restaurants in Mazatlán
- Shopping in Mazatlán
- Warnings and Dangers in Mazatlán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mazatlán
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Mazatlán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mazatlán
Photos in MazatlánSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boise Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Baden-Württemberg Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Cascade Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mazatlán Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos