"My Kind of Mountains" Grand Teton National Park by JetlagCity

Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 932 photos

Grand Teton National Park

While I must admit that Mt. Rainier, which I can see from my home, is impressive, my favorite mountains are the young, jagged kind like they have here. Mountains like this are what make the American West so spectacular. Grand Teton National Park is adjacent to and just south of the more famous Yellowstone National Park.

This moose was the highlight of my most recent trip here. He was in this stream right next to the roadside, completely oblivious to the thirty or so people behind the fence taking pictures of him like crazy.

More colorful wildlife... I'd never seen birds like these before. There were a bunch of them (yellow-headed blackbirds - I looked them up in a bird book) in one of the lodge parking lots where we stopped to take some pictures.

• Pros:young, jagged mountain peaks; wildlife
  • Cons:tends to get overlooked since it's right next to Yellowstone
  • Last visit to Grand Teton National Park: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 3, 2005

• Aug 11, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Great tips and photos. Thanks for sharing the information.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2006 at 8:51 AM

Grand Teton National Park is really impressive, hope to visit one day :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 4:18 AM

Your descriptions & photos really make me want to take a trip out West! Love the wildlife & unspoiled wilderness!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 3:59 PM

Jane, I have always wanted to see the Tetons (or as the traders called them "breasts") Learn something new everyday. Great photos, Thanks Kat

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 7:48 PM

The Tetons are a nice place to hang out! Best seen on a nice sunny day in August atop Table Mt to the west. Jenny Lake is a good start though ;-]

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2005 at 7:30 AM

The Grand Tetons in my opinion are the most picturesque mountains in America. While the Great Smokies are comforting like my mother's bosom, seeing the Grand Tetons for the first time is like going to your first strip show.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 1:27 PM

Fine mountain photos!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 3:17 PM

Jane, excellent tips all the way around!! It only reinforces my belief that I've got to get myself out here soon, once my 'retirement' takes full effect!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 5:46 AM

Everytime you see three tetons... there is always some Moran trying to look at them!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2005 at 2:14 PM

Well I guess fur-trapping is a rather lonely occupation, so you can't really blame them now, can you ;-)

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Grand Teton National Park

Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?