"Bavarian Icefest" Top 5 Page for this destination Leavenworth by JetlagCity

Leavenworth Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 363 photos

Leavenworth

The last time I visited Leavenworth was for their annual "Bavarian Icefest" celebration in January. It was very cold, but quite fun watching the snowshoe and "smooshing" races, mainly because everyone participating is such an amateur, and just there to have a good time!

The festival is a small-town affair, with lots of events for kids and some for adults, too. For me it was my big dose of snow for this winter, since we don't get much of that in Seattle.

This was my favorite snow sculpture. Isn't he cute?

All my previous trips to Leavenworth have been to go cross-country skiing, at Icicle Creek. It's a very picturesque area.

Ski Jumping!
This is something I'd really like to see someday! Leavenworth has a ski jump just outside of town, but so far I haven't managed to be here when people were practicing!

• Last visit to Leavenworth: Jan 2005

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:44 AM

love your picutes:)

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2005 at 1:53 PM

Enjoyed your Leavenworth page - I was also looking for a prison! It looks very beautiful in the snowy mountains.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 10:41 AM

Very helpful and interesting page. I was surprised to read that Leavenworth was not a German settlement. I suppose I will now hear that Moscow Idaho is not a Russian community.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 10:27 AM

"Der Sportsmann"? Hmmm. . . I don't remember that word from my German classes!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 8:28 AM

Using the Bavarian name for its own devices....appalling! I like it!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 11:52 AM

I was expecting to see a prison here, but I guess that's in Kansas. I hope the Bavarians are duly flattered by Leavenworth's Bavarian Marketing Scheme.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 2:57 AM

It's such a weird place but interesting! I was there when returning to Vancouver from July 4th party in Crescent Bar.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2005 at 1:55 PM

I bet those snowshoes works better with a little snow;-] You forgot to mention whether you hit the brewpub first or after ;-\ Nice pics!

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Leavenworth

Have you been to Leavenworth?

Latest Activity in Leavenworth