"The Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute" Ellensburg by JetlagCity

Ellensburg Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 22 photos

in Ellensburg

The reason for this little Ellensburg page is to tell you about a really cool place called the Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute (CHCI). It’s certainly NOT what Ellensburg is most known for! (That would be the Ellensburg Rodeo.) Ellensburg is a small university town in Central Washington. It's about a 2-hour drive over the Cascade Mountains from Seattle. I've read about some nice walks/hikes around here, which I hope to do in the future. A lot of vineyards in this part of the state, too.

I was very surprised to discover the first chimpanzee ever to learn sign language, a former space program participant, was living right here in this little desert town.

CHCI is a chimpanzee sanctuary, and they offer workshops to the public to learn more about chimpanzees and about communications between our two closely related species.

I’ve always enjoyed learning other languages so I can interact a little with others on my travels. In some ways communicating with chimpanzees seemed more exciting - in other ways, it seemed fascinatingly similar!

• In a nutshell:more than just the rodeo
  • Last visit to Ellensburg: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2005

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 3:28 AM

It's great to read about your visit to CHCI. My wife knows all about Washoe but we never thought to stop for a Chimposium on our annual trip to Sun Lakes. Perhaps it's time we did.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2005 at 12:44 AM

This place has me chimping at the bit to get out there! Thanks!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 4:52 PM

Fascinating stuff, Jane!! So this is where Washoe calls home! I remember seeing a few programs about human/chimp communications on PBS and Washoe was one of the stars! Nice to know that the little chimp is still going strong.

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Ellensburg

Have you been to Ellensburg?