"My Home Away From Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Boise by JetlagCity

Boise Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 271 photos

Boise, Idaho

I lived in Boise on and off for a total of ten years, and I still go back at least once a year to visit relatives here. Boise is right between the mountains on one side and the desert on the other. It’s a small capital city, rather lacking in diversity, of about 180,000 people. You can always tell who’s from here and who’s not by how they pronounce Boise: outsiders say Boy-zee, while those in the know say Boy-see.

Boise, like all of Idaho, is a great place to be for outdoor activities and recreation. Hiking, skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, and fishing places are all close by. The climate is very dry – about the opposite of where I live now (Seattle)!

Some of my photos here were taken mainly to have pictures of friends, rather than to document the place, but they’ll have to do. I decided to build this page anyway, since Boise is somewhat underrepresented on VT.

This picture was taken along the Snake River Canyon about an hour outside of Boise.

• Pros:outdoor recreation opportunities, dry climate
  • Last visit to Boise: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2005

• Brehone's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM

Hi, Your Boise pages bring back lots of memories for me. I lived in Nampa for about 10 years and also now live in Seattle. I love the Brick Oven Beanery!

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2005 at 6:57 PM

Enjoyed your page - I was wondering about the Basque influence in Boise. Greetings from Augusta, Georgia.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2005 at 10:27 AM

I first heard the name Boise in a film years and years ago (I think it was with Doris Day!) then I saw it on a map the other day, so thanks for telling me something about it. I probably say 'Boyzee' :-)

• iwys's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 9:11 AM

Great page. I am a big Broncos fan, which is kind of weird for a guy from England. I don't like the blue turf though.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 4:16 AM

Very informative pages on Boise Jane. There's more to Idaho than just potatoes!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2005 at 8:14 PM

Jane. I really enjoyed reading these pages on Boise. I have never been and know very little about it, until now. It sounds just wonderful...an outdoor paradise. Great to have Basque restaurants and a Basque population. Superior photos.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2005 at 12:56 PM

I did know well about outdoor activities in Idaho but I didn't know about Basque Market and a Basque Museum and Cultural Center in Boise. Any basque restaurant there? Hmm... I was in Spain but never in Basque country and I never tried Basque food :-(

• DanielF's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 2:46 PM

Interesting tip about the Basque emigrants to Idaho.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 11:44 AM

Spent two days in Boise, Skiied at bogus basin! No snow down in the town, but up in the mountains it was fresh powder!! Safe travels from Canada!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 12:44 PM

I never imagined there would be a Shakespeare Festival in Idaho. What a great idea! Cycling along the Boise River sounds fine, too.

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Boise