"Montalcino - Vineyards & Olive Groves" Top 5 Page for this destination Montalcino by JetlagCity

Montalcino Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 337 photos

The Good Life

My favorite day during our trip to Tuscany was the day we visited Montalcino and the surrounding countryside. It just happened to be my husband's birthday. We only spent a little time in the town itself and I'd like to go back again someday and linger along its steep streets. We had arranged for a guide ahead of time to take us on a tour of a Brunello di Montalcino winery and a monastery with an olive mill nearby.

What a lasting impression this day had on me! We had never even heard of Brunello wine before, nor had we cooked much with olive oil. I felt like this day gave me my first sense of what life is like in Tuscany, and how the people live.

• Pros:beautiful rolling hills, vineyards, olive groves
  • Cons:not one thing
  • Last visit to Montalcino: Nov 1999
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2005

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Nice tips and pics, Jane. We will be in Montalcino for two days in May and I can't wait. I just know there is a glass of brunello waiting for me!

• Nov 28, 2006 at 1:01 AM

one of the most authentic places i visited in this region!lovely pics, greetings, gabriela

• Jun 4, 2005 at 12:09 AM

Nice pictures and comprehensive tips Jane!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 3:27 PM

Lucky you to meet the monk in charge of the monastery's olive mill and see techniques used to produce olive oil.

• piccolina's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 10:23 PM

I went in Montalcino ans Siena county in 1997, that was til now my best holiday!Thanks for bring me back nice memories..Great tips..

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 2:35 AM

I noticed the olive oil I ate in Italy - dipping the bread into it - was way nicer than the stuff I get in Australia.

• Jan 9, 2005 at 2:07 AM

We went absolutely ga-ga for the '97 Brunello on our visit!

• mansionion's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 4:07 PM

Really interesting small town it seems. Thx for sharing the fact abt the olive oil. -m-

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 1:57 PM

Would love to sip on some of those Brinello wines.... ***runs to the shop***

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 12:43 PM

Ahhh...yes...I am a BIG fan of a nice glass of Brunello!!

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Montalcino

Have you been to Montalcino?

Latest Activity in Montalcino