"Paradise Lost" Ambergris Cay by JetlagCity

Ambergris Cay Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 401 photos

Lament for San Pedro

How to write this page? It's a difficult one for me. When I spent a week here in 1996, it was like paradise. Easygoing, rural, pleasant, undeveloped. No cars on the sand streets. The perfect place to get away from it all.

In 2005 I came back and didn't recognize the place - in my opinion, it's been ruined. Buildings have been crammed into every conceivable open space in town, blocking the refreshing breezes that used to keep the heat bearable. Tons of cars clog the narrow little lanes, so it's no longer a nice place for pedestrians to walk down the street. I even heard a car alarm - not what I want on vacation.

I actually cringed when I saw how overdeveloped this town had become. Even the little cemetery in the sand, which used to be on the outskirts of town, has been blocked in by mid-rise buildings. There's now a cosmetology place doing permanent makeup tattoos - not my idea of getting away from it all. San Pedro reminded me a little of Tijuana, Mexico, except that it's on an island in the Carribean. It made me sad.

But... I will always treasure my memories from 1996, when San Pedro was a really special place to discover. I'm very grateful I got to experience it back then. And I suspect that if you haven't already been here, before it got this developed, maybe you won't think it's so bad now? I don't know.

• In a nutshell:Isla bonita no more
  • Last visit to Ambergris Cay: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2005

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 1:44 PM

That's the trouble with places that are like paradise. Everyone want's to get there. Nice picture.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 5:08 PM

Sorry to hear that San Pedro had changed for worse... Great pictures in comparison travelogues!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 8:32 PM

Small but powerful. I applaud your honesty. How sad for you. Elvi's sounds great. What man does in the name of progress is sometimes disgusting. Thanks for these pages.

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2005 at 11:33 AM

funny thing is I met some people who preferred San Pedro to Caye Caulker....fine with me, they can stay there! I didn't even go to check it out, CC is more my style, let's hope it stays that way!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 9:53 AM

A nice lament. I remember when Ambergris Cay was just beginning to be the 'hot spot'. I guess I missed out. Likesome Mexican beaches I know. Unplanned tourism - or 'planned' tourism, in some cases - can ruin what brings you here in the first place.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2005 at 6:17 AM

It's a pity, what did they do with once charming place Ambergris. You did a very nice page.

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Ambergris Cay

Have you been to Ambergris Cay?

Latest Activity in Ambergris Cay