"Paradise Lost" Ambergris Cay by JetlagCity
Ambergris Cay Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 401 photos
How to write this page? It's a difficult one for me. When I spent a week here in 1996, it was like paradise. Easygoing, rural, pleasant, undeveloped. No cars on the sand streets. The perfect place to get away from it all.
In 2005 I came back and didn't recognize the place - in my opinion, it's been ruined. Buildings have been crammed into every conceivable open space in town, blocking the refreshing breezes that used to keep the heat bearable. Tons of cars clog the narrow little lanes, so it's no longer a nice place for pedestrians to walk down the street. I even heard a car alarm - not what I want on vacation.
I actually cringed when I saw how overdeveloped this town had become. Even the little cemetery in the sand, which used to be on the outskirts of town, has been blocked in by mid-rise buildings. There's now a cosmetology place doing permanent makeup tattoos - not my idea of getting away from it all. San Pedro reminded me a little of Tijuana, Mexico, except that it's on an island in the Carribean. It made me sad.
But... I will always treasure my memories from 1996, when San Pedro was a really special place to discover. I'm very grateful I got to experience it back then. And I suspect that if you haven't already been here, before it got this developed, maybe you won't think it's so bad now? I don't know.
- In a nutshell:Isla bonita no more
North of "the cut" that divides the island in two it's still relatively undeveloped and uncrowded, though I don't know... more travel advice
JetlagCity's Related Pages
Ambergris Cay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Relaxing Ambergris Cay Getaway"
- "A Short Stay on Ambergris Cay"
- "A real Gem"
- "Beautiful Belize"
- "San Pedro, Caye Ambergris"
- "Ambergris Caye"
- "Lively but still Belize"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambergris Cay
- Hotels in Ambergris Cay
- Transportation in Ambergris Cay
- Nightlife in Ambergris Cay
- Restaurants in Ambergris Cay
- Shopping in Ambergris Cay
- Warnings and Dangers in Ambergris Cay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ambergris Cay
- 2 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Ambergris Cay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambergris Cay
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boise Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Baden-Württemberg Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Cascade Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mazatlán Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos