"Seedy Old Colonial Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City by JetlagCity

Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos

Belize City

According to legend, Belize City was built on rum bottles, the legacy of buccaneers in centuries past. It lies below sea level and has suffered the ravages of hurricanes more than once throughout the years. It was the capital of the former colony of British Honduras, so English is the official language here, although it's often a pidgin English.

The town isn't a tourist destination, it's more a place where locals live and work. However, it is likely to be your port of entry to this fabulous country and the diverse delights it has to offer (Mayan ruins, fantastic diving and snorkelling, jungle wildlife, caving, etc.) At 70,000 people, it's Belize's only urban area.

Very oddly, Belize City reminded me of Venice in two ways: 1) I like the architecture (although the wooden British colonial architecture is completely different from anything in Venice), and 2) I like it in spite of the fact that it's decaying badly.

I've read much about crime in this city, but am convinced that if you choose a decent neighborhood to stay in (the Southern Foreshore or Fort George areas) and use the same common sense you employ in any big city your chances of being okay are as good as in any city. Belize City has spent some effort to clean itself up in this regard, and employed more police in these areas to discourage crime. We always felt safe during our short stay here.

• Pros:It's the gateway to Belize!
  • Cons:run down; not a lot for a visitor to do
  • Last visit to Belize City: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2005

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Nice page, I am headed here is a few weeks!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Very interesting destination, although not touristy... Thanks for sharing here....

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 5:03 PM

Super page! You're right, I enjoyed Belize alot, but the main draw for me was the wildlife of which there seemed to be an abundance!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 5:03 AM

An interesting look at Belize which shows that the country has more than just beaches. Very well written.

• guell's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2005 at 8:11 AM

I had just a short encounter with Belize. Crossed the border and had lunch. Your pages make me want to go back and explore the rest of the country.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2005 at 2:16 PM

Nice page! Don't think I have ever heard of a memorial lighthouse before!

• mansionion's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2005 at 9:35 AM

I can't believe its Belize! :) Thx for sharing this interesting info Jane. -m-

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 2:29 PM

Great page with excellent tips and quite interesting destination, I see. Thanks for sharing.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 8:39 PM

Jane, your tips are excellent. They are so interesting to read because of your honesty, enthusiasm, and passion for travel. I like your style of hunting down books about where you have been or going to. Just wonderful.

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2005 at 11:43 AM

I didn't spend anytime in BC apart from my drive to and from the airport, so I appreciated your virtual tour! That Baron Bliss must have left some chunk of change, they celebrated Baron Bliss day while I was in Belize.

JetlagCity

“So many places, so little vacation time!”

Badges & Stats in Belize City

Have you been to Belize City?

Latest Activity in Belize City