"Seedy Old Colonial Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City by JetlagCity
Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos
According to legend, Belize City was built on rum bottles, the legacy of buccaneers in centuries past. It lies below sea level and has suffered the ravages of hurricanes more than once throughout the years. It was the capital of the former colony of British Honduras, so English is the official language here, although it's often a pidgin English.
The town isn't a tourist destination, it's more a place where locals live and work. However, it is likely to be your port of entry to this fabulous country and the diverse delights it has to offer (Mayan ruins, fantastic diving and snorkelling, jungle wildlife, caving, etc.) At 70,000 people, it's Belize's only urban area.
Very oddly, Belize City reminded me of Venice in two ways: 1) I like the architecture (although the wooden British colonial architecture is completely different from anything in Venice), and 2) I like it in spite of the fact that it's decaying badly.
I've read much about crime in this city, but am convinced that if you choose a decent neighborhood to stay in (the Southern Foreshore or Fort George areas) and use the same common sense you employ in any big city your chances of being okay are as good as in any city. Belize City has spent some effort to clean itself up in this regard, and employed more police in these areas to discourage crime. We always felt safe during our short stay here.
- Pros:It's the gateway to Belize!
- Cons:run down; not a lot for a visitor to do
If you're arriving from Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker, you can either fly into Belize City or take the water taxi. The... more travel advice
The Belize Audobon Society has a small shop with books on local birds and other animals, and typical souvenirs like... more travel advice
JetlagCity's Related Pages
Belize City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
- "Belize City - I've Seen Better!"
- "Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
- "Belize City and Countryside - Dec. 2004"
- "Belize City"
- "Belize City"
- "belize city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize City
- Hotels in Belize City
- Transportation in Belize City
- Nightlife in Belize City
- Restaurants in Belize City
- Shopping in Belize City
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize City
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Belize City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: What happens when you..."
- updated a Belize City Travel Page "Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
- Wrote a Review Water Taxi to/from the Cayes about Boat / Ferry in Belize City Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Bliss Institute"
- Commented on one of PrincessK's Belize City travel pages
Photos in Belize CitySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boise Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Baden-Württemberg Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Cascade Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mazatlán Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos