"Jane's Journeys" JetlagCity's Profile
Hello and welcome to my VT pages! I hope you enjoy some of my pictures and writing. The "travel interests" I chose above are only a few of the things I'm interested in -
I've been to the colorful Central American country of Belize twice, and I'm missing it terribly now. Tension just seems to float away on the breeze there. I soaked up some intense sunshine and did some great snorkelling. I love Belize - Caye Caulker was great! It made me sad to see how Ambergris Cay had changed since our first trip there, though.
Puerto Vallarta is on the horizon this coming fall. And hopefully next year... Greece. And someday Iceland. And Egypt. And Southeast Asia. And Rio di Janeiro. And... there are still plenty of places in Europe I want to visit (Greece, Sevilla, Cordoba), but I really want to experience some other continents, too - time! money! never enough of either one! : o
My newest VT page is on Grand Teton National Park. Awe-inspring, majestic, rocky mountains like these are what I love about the American West. Saw two moose there, too, which was really cool!
The VT page I've put the most effort into is definitely Venice. No place else in the world is remotely like Venice, no matter what they say.
THAT GREAT PAGAN CELEBRATION OF THE SUN, THE FREMONT SOLSTICE PARADE : ) This is my very favorite event of the whole year here in Seattle. Really a fun parade that celebrates the whimsical nature of the Fremont neighborhood. As always a group of body-painted bicyclists rode ahead of the "official" parade. Check out my travelogues for more pics.
For once the weather was perfect this year, not boiling or freezing! All the drumming and dancing get the crowd cheering, along with everyone's crazy costumes. There's lots of music, guys who walk the whole parade route on stilts, homemade floats (all of which are non-motorized), etc.
Besides travelling, I love to read. In fact, reading is probably what got me interested in travel in the first place. I recently finished La Tia Julia y El Escribidor, by Mario Vargas Llosa, set in Lima, Peru. Next on my list to read, finally, is the diary of Anne Frank, set in Amsterdam of course.
Other good books I've read recently which feature a strong sense of place include: A Good Horse Has No Color (Iceland), The Sixteen Pleasures and The Birth of Venus (Florence), Bangkok8 and now Bangkok Tattoo, The Piano Tuner (colonial Burma), Easter Island, and mysteries by Donna Leon (Venice) or Janwillem van de Wetering (Amsterdam). I tried reading A Confederacy of Dunces (New Orleans), but I hated it, so I can't recommend that one, but I did enjoy Interview with the Vampire when it came out all those years ago.
with all his beams full-dazzling!
- Walt Whitman
I was born in 1965.
I love the desert.
I hate reality shows.
I play the piano in secret.
I love that old movie "Harold and Maude".
I miss the snow.
I love art, especially mosaics and stained glass.
I'm happily married.
I hate noise pollution, especially car alarms.
I love the natural beauty of remote, undeveloped places.
I also love many big cities.
I hate the suburbs.
I love my digital camera.
Favorite National Park - Zion National Park
Personal Pages (2)
Written Jun 18, 2005
Written Jun 20, 2005
Bicyclists at The Solstice Parade
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 279 Reviews
- 532 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 36 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
- JetlagCity and jamiesno are now friends.
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Place to Watch the World Go By"
- updated a Lima Travel Page "Lima - Gastronomic Capital of South America"
- Wrote a Review Theft and Pickpocketing in Lima Warnings and Dangers
updated their Profile Page "Jane's Journeys"
- Commented on Bwana_Brown's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: What happens when you..."
PhotosSee All Photos (532)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 36 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 14 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boise Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Baden-Württemberg Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Cascade Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mazatlán Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22145 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos