"America's Smallest State Capitol" Top 5 Page for this destination Montpelier by peach93
Montpelier Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 83 photos
On a recent road trip to Canada I had the good fortune to stop for a while in Montpelier, Vermont. Nestled into the mountains among dairy farms and spectacular scenery, it is quite a vibrant place, even if it is tiny. In addition to being the state capitol (the smallest capitol in the U.S.) it is also home to two universities, several restaurants and shops, a museum and several other businesses.
The city is thought to have been named after Montpelier, France by its founder, Colonel Jacob Davis, in a gesture of thanks to the French for their help fighting the English during the Revolutionary War.
Nearly all of Montpelier's shops and restaurants are privately owned. There are no chains. And like most of Vermont, the city is a progressive place with an emphasis on green living, recycling, and left-of-center politics. The arts also has a strong presence there. The tiny downtown is full of galleries, artsy cafes, independent book shops, and quirky boutiques. It is also home to the Lost Nation Theatre, the Montpelier Theatre Guild, the Vermont Chamber Orchestra Society and the Vermont Opera Theatre--quite impressive for a city with a population of just over 8,000 people.
If you find yourself in central Vermont, Montpelier is certainly worth a visit. It is easily accessible off of route 89. The city has a lovely historic hotel downtown and lots of great places to eat. Parking is easy to find (the parking meters take nickels!). You can take a free tour of the state house, visit the Vermont Historical Society's museum or just take a walk around. Montpelier is a great example of what much of America once looked like. I'm glad that it's there.
Located in a beautiful historic building next to the Vermont State House, the Historical Society's Museum is a great way... more travel advice
Although this place is certainly cute--it has a great little sidewalk patio and the inside is decorated very well--the... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Montpelier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Small case for a capital city"
- "America's Smallest State Capitol"
- "Montpelier, VT"
- "Montpelier, VT"
- "Montpelier, Vermont"
- "Montpelier (where I live)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montpelier
- Hotels in Montpelier
- Transportation in Montpelier
- Nightlife in Montpelier
- Restaurants in Montpelier
- Shopping in Montpelier
- Warnings and Dangers in Montpelier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montpelier
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Montpelier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montpelier
Photos in MontpelierSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue