"Up DownEast" Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor by peach93
Bar Harbor Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 652 photos
On the northwestern side of Mount Desert Island, two-thirds of the way up the coast of Maine and about a six-hour drive from Boston, is Bar Harbor, a small coastal town favored by tourists, lobster fishermen, yachtsmen and hikers from nearby Acadia National Park. It is also a popular port for cruise ships returning from the Canadian Maritimes during the summer months. Although small, there are a lot of things to do and see there. You can go out on a boat and see whales, seals and puffins, or fish, swim, play golf, sail, visit museums, shop and of course eat lobsters and clams (and ice cream) and just relax.
In addition to being a fun place to visit, Bar Harbor is also quite beautiful. Rivaling the land and seascapes of such places as Alaska and Sweden, several wooded islands can be seen from the harbor shore, the mountains of Acadia rising above the sea in the distance. Often for no reason a thick fog rolls in during the day, covering everything with a fine mist, making boats, buildings and people appear ghostlike and mysterious. And then, just as quickly, the fog rolls out, as if it had never been there.
Because it is on an island, being in Bar Harbor can also give a person the sense of being very far away from the rest of the world. This is true for some reason even when the town is full of tourists. That alone makes it worth the long drive to get there.
Located on Route 3 past most of the hotels, this place looks cute from the outside, a real log cabin with a wooden... more travel advice
This is great little boat tour, especially for kids. Lasting about 1 1/2 hours, you can cruise out into Frenchman Bay on... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Bar Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Up DownEast"
- "Bah Hahbah without the huge crowds"
- "Bar Harbor"
- "Bar Harbor, Maine: Gateway to Acadia National Park"
- "Bar Harbor"
- "Sea Kayaking"
- "BAR HARBOR - GATEWAY TO ACADIA NATIONAL PARK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bar Harbor
- Hotels in Bar Harbor
- Transportation in Bar Harbor
- Nightlife in Bar Harbor
- Restaurants in Bar Harbor
- Shopping in Bar Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bar Harbor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bar Harbor
- 16 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Bar Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bar Harbor
Photos in Bar HarborSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue