"The Jewel of Cape Ann" Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport by peach93
Rockport Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 304 photos
Rockport, MA sits at the very tip of Cape Ann, the "other" Massachusetts cape jutting out from the state's North Shore. Rockport is one of the state's oldest settlements. Once known as Sandy Neck, the town's roots date back to the 1690's. Today Rockport's main trade is tourism, the town's tiny streets crammed with shops, restaurants and inns. The other industry here is fishing, mainly lobstering. During most months of the year Rockport's little harbor is full of lobster boats, their multi-colored buoys dotting the surrounding waters.
Cape Ann, and Massachusetts' North Shore in general, is my favorite region of the state. I like it better than Cape Cod by a mile, better than the Berkshires and even better than Boston. The Cape Ann area includes places like Gloucester and Ipswich; some of the state's best seafood comes from here. In fact the world's best clams come from Cape Ann. You'd have to taste one to know what I mean, but they're most certainly worth the drive from almost anywhere.
If you come to Massachusetts during the summertime and are looking to visit a real seaside town, I highly recommend Rockport. There are few places more beautiful. It's only about an hour north of Boston and there is far less traffic and hassle involved in getting there than driving to Cape Cod or the South Shore. It's also quite close to other nice places to visit such as Salem and Gloucester.
It is almost pointless to try to write individual tips for shops in Rockport. Many of them change hands from year to... more travel advice
Front beach is right in Rockport's downtown area, open to the public. The beach is very small, tiny actually, but if you... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Rockport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rockport... worth doing again and again"
- "The Jewel of Cape Ann"
- "diver-x's Rockport Page"
- "Rockport Christmas Stroll"
- "MANGOBLUE'S ROCKPORT PAGE"
- "BuickMackane's Rockport, MA Page (I lived here!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rockport
- Hotels in Rockport
- Transportation in Rockport
- Nightlife in Rockport
- Restaurants in Rockport
- Shopping in Rockport
- Warnings and Dangers in Rockport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rockport
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Rockport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rockport
Photos in RockportSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue