"Land's End" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincetown by peach93
Provincetown Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 382 photos
Provincetown lies at the very tip of Cape Cod, a little wisp of land spewing out into the Bay. Today it is known mostly as a vacation destination for gays and lesbians--at least to most of the world. And while this is true; it is also much, much more.
When I was growing up I went to Provincetown nearly every summer. It is my one of my mother's favorite places. When she was growing up in Michigan she heard stories about it from my grandfather, whose shipmate from the Navy in the Second World War had grown up there, one son in a long line of Portuguese fishermen.
I remember taking my grandfather to visit Provincetown, and his friend, on many occasions when I was young. In his elder years he lived in Arizona. He never quite got over missing the sea.
Before Provincetown was what it is today, that is a major tourist destination, it was a Portuguese fishing village and artist colony. Many aspects of both of these things still exist today. In fact most of the town's permanent population is still of Portuguese descent, which is apparent in the food found in many of the restaurants, the festivals and many of the town's businesses.
Provincetown is also still home to many artists. The downtown area is full of galleries. Though it may not be the cheap haven it once was for creative people, it still manages to hold on to this tradition.
- Cons:Basically closed in the winter
If you look at a map of Cape Cod, Race Point is at the very northern tip, that little wispy bit of land stretching out... more travel advice
The Pilgrim Monument is the highest point in Provincetown and can be seen from miles away. It was built to commemorate... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Provincetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Provincetown ~ Cape Cod"
- "Land's End"
- "2nd Stop,Cape Cod National Seashore"
- "zChris's Provincetown"
- "The many charms of Cape Cod...."
- "Provincetown, MA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincetown
- Hotels in Provincetown
- Transportation in Provincetown
- Nightlife in Provincetown
- Restaurants in Provincetown
- Shopping in Provincetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincetown
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Provincetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincetown
Photos in ProvincetownSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue