"Land's End" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincetown by peach93

Provincetown Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 336 photos

Provincetown lies at the very tip of Cape Cod, a little wisp of land spewing out into the Bay. Today it is known mostly as a vacation destination for gays and lesbians--at least to most of the world. And while this is true; it is also much, much more.

When I was growing up I went to Provincetown nearly every summer. It is my one of my mother's favorite places. When she was growing up in Michigan she heard stories about it from my grandfather, whose shipmate from the Navy in the Second World War had grown up there, one son in a long line of Portuguese fishermen.

I remember taking my grandfather to visit Provincetown, and his friend, on many occasions when I was young. In his elder years he lived in Arizona. He never quite got over missing the sea.

Before Provincetown was what it is today, that is a major tourist destination, it was a Portuguese fishing village and artist colony. Many aspects of both of these things still exist today. In fact most of the town's permanent population is still of Portuguese descent, which is apparent in the food found in many of the restaurants, the festivals and many of the town's businesses.

Provincetown is also still home to many artists. The downtown area is full of galleries. Though it may not be the cheap haven it once was for creative people, it still manages to hold on to this tradition.

• Pros:Gorgeous
  • Cons:Basically closed in the winter
  • Last visit to Provincetown: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2009

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Just back from Provincetown...my page coming soon. Of course we shopped and ate at the Lobster Pot. I too was brought here as a kid and have fond memories of this traditional artist colony. so changed since then. Had a great time.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 11:43 AM

New England in fall- it's one of the things I always think of when it is raining and cold here in autumn again. The colors of the trees - and not last the little towns like this with the white churches... I wish I could come for the VT meet. Alas I can't.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Emilie this is a great page on Provincetown. Your introduction says so much about the city and about you also. Its one of my favorite places.

peach93 Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Provincetown

Have you been to Provincetown?

Latest Activity in Provincetown