"The Mill City" Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell by peach93
Lowell Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 89 photos
Home to Jack Kerouac, Ed McMahon, Bette Davis, artist James Whistler, and the late senator Paul Tsongas, Lowell, MA is a charming, old mill city 30 miles northwest of Boston. The city has gone through many changes in its past. Following a period of bad luck in the 80's and 90's, Lowell is now in the midst of a revival featuring a rapidly growing art community, fine resturants, shops, and museums.
The population of Lowell is rich and diverse culturally. The city has a large French Canadian population, decendants of the people who migrated here to work in the textile mills in the 19th cen. Lowell also has a large Cambodian population, reportedly the second largest in the US, and fast-growing Brazilian and Hispanic populations. A large Greek community also calls the city home.
The cityscape is beautiful with its myriad smokestacks lining the Merrimack river. The downtown features cobblestone streets and the canals bisecting the city once powered the mills. Many of these buildings are now upscale condominiums, shops, or museums. An old fashioned street car offers tours of the downtown in the summer months.
- Pros:A well kept secret, much less crowded than Boston and offering many of the same things.
- Cons:The reputation for crime the city earned in the 80's and 90's still persists, though it is unfounded.
The house where Jack Kerouac was born and grew up is located on Lupine Road in Lowell's Centralville neighborhood, on... more travel advice
Lowell's arena is named after late Massachusetts senator Paul Tsongas, a Lowell native. The Arena is the home of the... more travel advice
- See All The City's Only Real Hotel
- See All A Vegan's Paradise
- See All Christmastime in Lowell
- Fair Trade: Music, Art, and Media
peach93's Related Pages
Lowell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mill City"
- "Lowell....the textile town in America"
- "LOWELL - CANALS AND MILLS"
- "LeDragon's new Lowell Page"
- "A town that undersells itself"
- "Lowell - City of Canals"
- "A Good Stop on a Roadtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lowell
- Hotels in Lowell
- Transportation in Lowell
- Nightlife in Lowell
- Restaurants in Lowell
- Shopping in Lowell
- Warnings and Dangers in Lowell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lowell
- 36 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 62 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Lowell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lowell
Photos in LowellSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue