"The Birthplace of America" Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington by peach93

Lexington Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 106 photos

You know the rest. In the books you have read
How the British Regulars fired and fled,---
How the farmers gave them ball for ball,
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load. --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Today Lexington, Massachusetts is a modern, extremely affluent suburb of Boston about 10 miles north of the city, but in the world community it is best known for being "The Birthplace of America". For it was here on the early morning of April 19, 1775 that the first shot was fired in what would become the American War for Independence.

There are several historical sites to see here, most of which are free, as well as a lovely collection of boutiques, restaurants, and coffee shops all in a quaint, very walkable downtown. An afternoon in Lexington would make a great sidetrip if you are visiting the Boston area.

Lexington is about 10 miles south of where I live and we travel there frequently to have dinner and meet friends. My father lived in Lexington for 15 years, until late 1996, and as a result I am very familiar with this town and all that it has to offer. I even attended Lexington High School for a brief time before I was expelled. (This is a story for another time!)

The historic Buckman Tavern sits across the street from the famous Battle Green.

The First Church and Parish, Lexington sits at the far end of the Battle Green. This is the church that I attended when I was growing up and visiting my father. The inside of the sanctuary is bright and beautiful, though done in the New England Puritain tradition of "Less is More" and sparsely decorared.

• Pros:Close to Boston, Very Walkable, Lots of History
  • Cons:Parking Sometimes a Problem
  • Last visit to Lexington: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2010

• Napkin-giver's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Hi! I'm from Europe,but I live now in Lexington.It's a very nice town.I'm going to meet some new people in Boston and I would appreciate your advice about the bus transportation.Thank you for posting this tips here.I'll try them tomorrow. Have a nice day!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 4:50 PM

I'm back again and enjoyed your page as much as I did the first time around. Maybe more cause we just passed thru Lexington on Memorial Day and loved it. Must go back. You did a superior job on the pge.

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Very interesting pages here. Not finished yet will return again later to see more. Best regards from London.

• cuppadamoksha's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2006 at 11:56 AM

thanks for the bithday wishes :) Nice to hear from you in such a long time

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 7:02 AM

You can eat it! Just a few pieces at a time thogh ........

• Buckz's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 5:10 AM

Interesting page- I've often heard of Lexington, but never realised its significance.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 10:10 AM

Very nice, informative page. I now regret that I have missed Lexington in my visits to the Boston area.

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 10:26 AM

Great Lexington page. From Arlington, so very familar with this town. Your guide is dead-on.

• Mar 25, 2005 at 1:19 PM

Nice informative page. Didn't know this was the birthplace of America. Will remember that next time I see Lexington clothes :) Lovely old houses.

• Feb 22, 2005 at 5:40 PM

GREAT page , Em!! Good history lesson!! XOXO

peach93 Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Lexington

Have you been to Lexington?

Latest Activity in Lexington