"The Birthplace of America" Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington by peach93
Lexington Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 106 photos
You know the rest. In the books you have read
How the British Regulars fired and fled,---
How the farmers gave them ball for ball,
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load. --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Today Lexington, Massachusetts is a modern, extremely affluent suburb of Boston about 10 miles north of the city, but in the world community it is best known for being "The Birthplace of America". For it was here on the early morning of April 19, 1775 that the first shot was fired in what would become the American War for Independence.
There are several historical sites to see here, most of which are free, as well as a lovely collection of boutiques, restaurants, and coffee shops all in a quaint, very walkable downtown. An afternoon in Lexington would make a great sidetrip if you are visiting the Boston area.
Lexington is about 10 miles south of where I live and we travel there frequently to have dinner and meet friends. My father lived in Lexington for 15 years, until late 1996, and as a result I am very familiar with this town and all that it has to offer. I even attended Lexington High School for a brief time before I was expelled. (This is a story for another time!)
The historic Buckman Tavern sits across the street from the famous Battle Green.
The First Church and Parish, Lexington sits at the far end of the Battle Green. This is the church that I attended when I was growing up and visiting my father. The inside of the sanctuary is bright and beautiful, though done in the New England Puritain tradition of "Less is More" and sparsely decorared.
- Pros:Close to Boston, Very Walkable, Lots of History
- Cons:Parking Sometimes a Problem
A Boston area chain, Bertucci's is also one of my favorite places to eat. They offer excellent brick oven pizzas as well... more travel advice
Lexington has it's own community movie theatre called the Flick, a rare thing in these days of megaplexes. This little... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Birthplace of America"
- "Lexington...let's go back again"
- "Let it Begin Here"
- "Lexington, MA... another stop on the history tour"
- "Lexington, Massachusetts"
- "Local Bill's Lexington Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lexington
- Hotels in Lexington
- Transportation in Lexington
- Restaurants in Lexington
- Shopping in Lexington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lexington
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gualala Hotels
- Richards Bay
- Freiburg im Breisgau
- Arambakkam Hotels
- Porto Ercole
- Patiala Hotels
- Pulau Bintan
- Kampong Pandan Dalam Hotels
- Puerto Princesa
- Monument Rocks National Natural Landmark Hotels
- Eureka Springs
- Shenandoah National Park
- Paramaribo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 16 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue