"New Orleans" New Orleans by peach93

New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,198 reviews and 7,269 photos

I have traveled to New Orleans nine times since 1995. It is one of my favorite cities and having been there so frequently, one of the cities I have come to know fairly well. There is certainly no place else like it in the US, perhaps in the world. I have always felt that part of the city's romance and charm is due to its unique combination of history and culture, both joyous and dark, both which are celebrated on a daily basis with equal weight. Life is a gift, and the people of New Orleans seem to know that better than most Americans. This is perhaps because the city itself serves as a constant reminder that we only live once and should consider doing all that we can with the time we have.

I should mention that although New Orleans has a great deal to offer as far as culture, food, art, music, architecture, and good times are concerned it is not Disney World and people traveling there should keep that in mind. You do not want to talk to people on the street who are offering to shine your shoes or to give you a dollar to answer a riddle. To avoid being a crime victim it is best to try as hard as possible not to look like a tourist. (Don't drag around a map and video camera wearing a t-shirt from Wisconsin.)

There are tons of great things to see and do in New Orleans, but it is best to avoid a lot of the "tourist traps" and save your time and money for the real stuff. One of the things that I would suggest avoiding are the "Haunted Walking Tours" which are rampant in the French Quarter. These are expensive and you would be better off getting a guide book and seeing the places on your own time, avoiding the drama major routines of the tour guides. But, that's just my opinon.

• Pros:People, Music, Food, Fun
  • Cons:Crime, Tourist Traps, Cock Roaches the Size of Mice
  • Last visit to New Orleans: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Great description of the things to do and see. It has been years since I have been here, but still remember the headache and next day hangover. What a place to party hard.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 11:47 AM

You have a wonderful NOLA page - excellent insight with your tips, and the photos made me homesick! Well done!

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Great New Orleans Page - it's been way too long since my last visit! All the best, Eve

• donpaul77's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Good tourist trap tip on the "haunted tours". I went on one and bailed out as soon as we got near Bourbon Street. It was awful! I love New Orleans, though...nice pages!

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Hey, wat about Lafayette? The heart of "Cajun" Country. You must brought yasalf here and meet sum real coonbutts. Barry in Louisiana (disaster area)

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Lucky girl!! Give hugs to everyone for me! x

• May 12, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Stayed here Thursday May 8th, checked out early Friday morning, but this was a great hotel for the rate. Friendly staff, great room, great bed, short walk to the french q across Canal Street, felt safe where we were, enjoyed it, will stay there again.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM

what day is it anyways? I've been wedding planning, touring locations, writing vow equivalents and such ... I've sort of become bridezilla light ;) at least I don't stink yet!

• Mar 22, 2008 at 7:34 AM

The most famous city in USA!

• Jan 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM

essential Napoleon House: relax with a Pimm's cup.

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?

Latest Activity in New Orleans