"New Orleans" New Orleans by peach93
New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,331 reviews and 7,719 photos
I have traveled to New Orleans nine times since 1995. It is one of my favorite cities and having been there so frequently, one of the cities I have come to know fairly well. There is certainly no place else like it in the US, perhaps in the world. I have always felt that part of the city's romance and charm is due to its unique combination of history and culture, both joyous and dark, both which are celebrated on a daily basis with equal weight. Life is a gift, and the people of New Orleans seem to know that better than most Americans. This is perhaps because the city itself serves as a constant reminder that we only live once and should consider doing all that we can with the time we have.
I should mention that although New Orleans has a great deal to offer as far as culture, food, art, music, architecture, and good times are concerned it is not Disney World and people traveling there should keep that in mind. You do not want to talk to people on the street who are offering to shine your shoes or to give you a dollar to answer a riddle. To avoid being a crime victim it is best to try as hard as possible not to look like a tourist. (Don't drag around a map and video camera wearing a t-shirt from Wisconsin.)
There are tons of great things to see and do in New Orleans, but it is best to avoid a lot of the "tourist traps" and save your time and money for the real stuff. One of the things that I would suggest avoiding are the "Haunted Walking Tours" which are rampant in the French Quarter. These are expensive and you would be better off getting a guide book and seeing the places on your own time, avoiding the drama major routines of the tour guides. But, that's just my opinon.
- Pros:People, Music, Food, Fun
- Cons:Crime, Tourist Traps, Cock Roaches the Size of Mice
I stayed at the newly renovated Omni Royal Crescent recently and it is just beautiful. I really wish that all hotels... more travel advice
La Plaza de España was given as a gift by the government of Spain to the city of New Orleans as a gesture of goodwill... more travel advice
- See All Riverwalk Mall
- See All The Konriko Rice Museum
- See All Cruise the Mississippi on the Cajun...
- See All Louis Armstrong Park
peach93's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 42 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
Photos in New OrleansSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue