"Ancient Ice" Yakutat by peach93
Yakutat Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 17 photos
Yakutat, Alaska is located at the northern end of the Alaskan panhandle. The town itself is small and has a large population of Tlingit indians, the area's native people.
Most people who visit Yakutat come to enjoy the area's vast natural resources, from the Gulf of Alaska to the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and the Tongass National Forest. The Yakutat area also has more glaciers than anywhere else in North America. The Hubbard Glacier, its most famous, is 76 miles long, stretching from the Yukon Territory in Canada to the sea in Wrangell-St. Elias' Disenchantment Bay where it stretches nearly 30 stories up into the sky.
Yakutat's Disenchantment Bay is littered with icebergs from the calving Hubbard Glacier. Many of them make resting places for seals.
Yakutat is also home to Mount St. Elias, an 18,000 foot peak that is the region's most recognizable landmark. It rests near the sea at the head of the Malaspina Glacier, the largest piedmont Glacier in North America.
This should be obvious, but for some reason people still do it. For the brief time we were in Yakutat there was a person... more travel advice
The Valerie Glacier lies across Disenchantment Bay from the Hubbard Glacier. It was named for the scientist, Valerie... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Yakutat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient Ice"
- "The Accidental Tourist"
- "LizSitka's new Yakutat Page"
- "The middle of nowhere"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yakutat
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Yakutat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yakutat
Photos in YakutatSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue