"Alaska's Gateway" Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan by peach93
Ketchikan Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 541 photos
Ketchikan is known as the "Gateway to Alaska" as it is the state's southernmost city. Because of this the climate in Ketchikan is actually quite mild. The city gets very little snow in the wintertime and the temperatures there seldom get very hot or very cold. It does however get an incredible amount of rain. It is one of the greenest places I have ever been, and very, very beautiful.
Ketchikan is also known as the "Salmon Capitol of the World" because apparently more of the fish are caught and processed there than anyplace else on earth. The downtown is home to several canneries which process millions of pounds of salmon each year during the short summer season. They are closed during the winter months.
The city is also home to a number of rivers and streams where salmon come to spawn in the early fall each year. The salmon run, as it's called, attracts many visitors to Ketchikan including bears and bald eagles as well as people.
Salmon from Ketchikan are also the best that I've ever eaten. I love fish and have tried salmon from all parts of Scandinavia and Nova Scotia in Canada--don't even get me going about the farmed variety--and Ketchikan's is the best, no contest.
Ketchikan's location in the mountains and copious rainfall create a temperate rain forest environment that is home to many types of wildlife not often seen in the lower 48. Bald eagles, bears, wolves and many other kinds of animals are plentiful here. The forests themselves are amazingly beautiful and wild, especially when they come right down to the edge of the sea. It doesn't get much nicer than this anywhere.
- Pros:Gorgeous and wild
- Cons:Rains every day
Since Ketchikan is located in a rain forest, meaning that it rains there nearly every day of the year, it's a good... more travel advice
Here is one kind of interesting thing that I learned about Ketchikan while I was there: The town and its surrounding... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Ketchikan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Ketchikan, Alaska"
- "Alaska's Gateway"
- "Not a Flying Visit"
- "Ketchikan - Show me the bears!"
- "Duck Duck Goose"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ketchikan
- Hotels in Ketchikan
- Transportation in Ketchikan
- Nightlife in Ketchikan
- Restaurants in Ketchikan
- Shopping in Ketchikan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ketchikan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ketchikan
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Ketchikan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ketchikan
Photos in KetchikanSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue