"Sparse Arctic Beauty" Keflavík by peach93

Keflavík Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos

Keflavík, Iceland is located about 50 km west of Reykjavík. It is where the international airport is located, so visitors to the country will always get to see Keflavík first before Reykjavík. Keflavík is also home to a NATO base run by the US as well as a few corporate fisheries. But for the most part, Keflavík is a vast, ancient lava flow covered with lichen and delicate Arctic flowers. It's landscape is harsh and unvarrying. As far as the eye can see there is black lava, from the far horizon to the sea. In the distance there are volcanoes and if one looks carefully they will see geysers of steam rising from cracks in the earth.

When I first arrived in Keflavík I wondered what I had done by coming to Iceland because it is a lot like landing on the moon, all rock and sky. I imagined that the whole country must look that way because there was nothing else to be seen with naked eye other than the sea, huge icebergs floating in the distance.

The second time I went to Keflavík was when I noticed how beautiful it was. Though I have not seen everything by far, I am fairly certain that there is no other place like this one on earth.

• Last visit to Keflavík: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2005

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 5:58 PM

nice pics!

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 11:27 AM

great photos of Kef. I used to fly to that base a lot made me wish i was station there because they have Wendy's hehe

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 3:19 PM

Makes me wonder what in the hell we're hiding out there on that NATO base so far away from civilization!!!! Hmmmmm

Badges & Stats in Keflavík

Have you been to Keflavík?

Latest Activity in Keflavík